[News] Why Forks and Choice Are Important (and the Many Java Flavours)

Where open source philosophy goes wrong software freedom keeps us free to share
and modify

,----[ Quote ]
| There are no obligations to share a program using a particular methodology,
| to share source code to programs one doesn’t distribute, or to accept
| someone’s patches into a program. It’s convenient and nice to distribute
| developmental versions of programs and to integrate patches from others so
| many hackers can help improve the program. But these are niceties, not
| requirements. The ethical obligations to distribute software that respects
| users freedoms are at the heart of the free software movement. Focusing on
| software freedom helps keep our priorities straight when considering the
| consequences of using and sharing computer software.
`----

http://www.digitalcitizen.info/2008/11/09/where-open-source-philosophy-goes-wrong-software-freedom-keeps-us-free-to-share-and-modify/

Why So Many Java Mugs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Why so many choices? For the same reasons as there are numerous versions of
| the Linux operating system. Feature sets, corporate policies, budgetary
| restrictions, and scalability are among the deciding factors in choosing a
| suitable container.

According to Microsoft's Munchkins, having too much choice is suicide, yet Java
is the #1 programming language.

Recent:

Study: Java still top programming language

,----[ Quote ]
| Java has its detractors, but according to a recent reading of the Tiobe
| Programming Community Index, it's still the dominant programming language,
| with little change in its overall popularity since August 2007. Runners up?
| C, (Visual) Basic, C++, and PHP.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10009669-16.html

Related: