[News] Microsoft Fans Worry About GNU/Linux's Impact on Microsoft

Netbook growth cuts into Microsoft's earnings

,----[ Quote ]
| "You can't charge 100 bucks for an operating system on a machine that costs
| $299," O'Donnell said. But he added that Microsoft would probably prefer to
| cut its margins rather than cede ground to Linux.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/09/BU54140O0T.DTL

It ought to be added: The writer, Joseph Tartakoff, is a Microsoft faithful.

This is why Microsoft considers GNU/Linux its #1 rival.

Recent:

Netbooks Slam Shut On Vista Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Revenue from Microsoft's key Windows franchise grew just 2% in the most
| recent quarter as more PC buyers opted for smaller, more nimble,
| netbook-style devices that don't need a fat OS like Vista. Does Redmond have
| an answer for this trend?
|
| [...]
|
| Redmond's problem: An increasing number of computer buyers, mostly in
| high-growth, price-sensitive emerging markets, are realizing that they can
| get by with so-called netbooks for most of their online requirements. It's a
| fact that's leaving Windows Vista out in the cold in some of the world's
| fastest growing tech markets.
|
| Netbooks, from offshore manufacturers such as Taiwan's Asus, typically lack
| the horsepower to run the big and bulky Vista. But they're fully capable of
| performing routine computing tasks such as e-mailing, Web surfing, and
| instant messaging. Many models feature the free Linux OS.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/10/netbooks_slam_s.html

Microsoft: NetBooks Affecting Windows Revenue

,----[ Quote ]
| Matt Rosoff, an analyst with Kirkland, Wash.-based research firm Directions
| On Microsoft, said one area of concern for Microsoft is the falling
| percentage of premium priced versions of Windows versus non-premium versions,
| which could be the result of more people buying NetBooks.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/211600321

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
| open source rival
|
| Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
| around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
| sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
| Press.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux

Acer bets big on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
| netbooks.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2218172/acer-pushes-linux-hard

Microsoft sees slide in profits