[News] Ubuntu Installed on USB Trivially; Reasons to Make Ubuntu a Server

Ubuntu from your flash drive - easier than ever before

,----[ Quote ]
| As you have probably noticed, new versions have arrived of Ubuntu, Xubuntu
| and other derivatives. One of the most exciting new features has received far
| less publicity than it deserves - the ability to “install” it onto your USB
| flash drive with just a few clicks.

Why choose Ubuntu 8.10 as a server?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are several reasons that are important in deciding to employ Ubuntu
| server.  First, Ubuntu is very popular and gaining momentum. On
| distrowatch.com Ubuntu is listed as the most accessed distribution.  The
| popularity of Ubuntu suggests that there will be business and job
| opportunities for those who are trained in configuration of the Ubuntu
| Server.  Popularity of Ubuntu also demonstrates that the distribution will be
| around for awhile so your training will remain a valuable commodity.

Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex raises the bar

,----[ Quote ]
| Intrepid had big shoes to fill after Hardy and ended up doing a pretty decent
| job. When you're ready to try it, install the live CD first, to make sure
| that all of your hardware is detected properly before you commit to a full
| install. Overall, Intrepid is fast and stable, and the new focus on mobility
| is well appreciated.

Installing Ubuntu 8.10 To A USB Flash Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| ONE of the features of Ubuntu 8.10 I overlooked in my recent review was the
| utility included for creating a bootable version of Intrepid Ibex on a USB
| Flash memory stick.

Ubuntu's Live USB Disk Creator

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 8.10 is shipping next week with a horde of updated packages including
| the Linux 2.6.27 kernel, X.Org 7.4, Pidgin 2.5, GIMP 2.6, and many other
| packages that have experienced significant milestones since the April release
| of Ubuntu 8.04. On top of these updated packages from the community,
| Canonical has been working on a few desktop Linux innovations of their own.
| For instance, arriving late into the Intrepid Ibex release cycle is a USB
| start-up disk creator. In this article we are providing a quick look at this
| utility to easily spin your own USB disk images.

Fedora on a stick

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora 9 now lets you create a bootable Linux distribution on a flash drive
| with persistence. In other words, you can not only boot any PC that will
| accept USB drive booting into Linux, you can even boot into your own personal
| desktop. Now, that can be useful.

Fedora 9 Puts Your Desktop on a USB Drive

| Turning a live CD ISO into a bootable USB image has been possible for some
| time now, but it usually involves some heavy lifting with the command line,
| and almost always in Linux. Fedora's liveusb-creator program makes USB
| imaging dead simple, and the Fedora distribution itself has a lot going for
| it. The latest "community" version of Red Hat's Linux package benefits from
| the same updates to the GNOME desktop that Ubuntu's Hardy Heron includes, and
| KDE fans get a pretty full-featured version that runs on the customizable KDE
| 4.

Fedora 9 tools demystify installation and upgrades

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fedora project has always offered installation options. The best known of
| these options are the Fedora spins -- roll-your-own install images that
| emphasize a particular desktop or purpose, such as providing the
| distribution's complete repository on DVD. With Fedora 9, the project has
| expanded its traditional emphasis with two new tools: LiveUSB Creator, a
| Windows application for producing live Fedora flash drives, and PreUpgrade, a
| wizard to help existing users move from one release to another. Each in its
| own way helps to clarify part of the process of installing the Fedora
| operating system.

Fedora 8 renews tradition of innovations

,----[ Quote ]