Re: [News] International Embassies Run GNU/Linux on the Desktop

On 2008-11-04, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:

> ____/ Sinister Midget on Tuesday 04 November 2008 06:50 : \____
>
>> On 2008-11-04, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>>> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:13:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>

> http://www.itexaminer.com/german-foreign-ministry-starts-open-source-blitzkreig.aspx
>>>
>>> Odd that it took them 4 years to do it.
>>>

> http://www.osor.eu/news/de-foreign-ministry-cost-of-open-source-desktop-maintenance-is-by-far-the-lowest
>>>
>>> "The Foreign Ministry in 2001 began migrating its back-end IT systems to
>>> Open Source in order to provide all embassies and consulates with Internet
>>> access and email. "Our strategy was to use as far as possible Open
>>> Standards and Open Source. Reduction of costs was the main reason for this
>>> decision." Upon completion of this project, the ministry decided in
>>> ***2004*** to also migrate the desktops."
>>
>> So, you're of the opinion that everything that was in use before should
>> be dropped cold and implemented under a whole new system all at once?
>>
>> No wonder you had so much trouble getting a simple firewall working.
>
> A lot of people keep dual-booting for many years until a generation of
> software 'fades' and the user conveniently goes GNU/Linux-only. I fall under
> this category as well.

I went cold turkey, and I highly recommend it.

But to pretend that a business or government body should walk out of
the building running one thing one day and walk in to run something
completely different the next day is, to put it kindly, just plain
ignorant and stupid.

Any business which does that has bankruptcy as its business model.

Any government agency which does that should see everybody fired and
replaced by adults.

Something that blatantly dumb is certainly befitting a Winders
"consultant".

--
VISTA: Violently Invasive Severe Tyrannical Approach