[News] Overview of Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, New Benchmark Toolkit

LXDE, A stable and lightweight desktop environment.

,----[ Quote ]
| LXDE is the abbreviation for Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. LX also
| stands for LinuX. You will find it different from other desktop environments,
| due to its discrete components, which can be used independently and with few
| dependencies.
`----

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2008/10/lxde-stable-and-lightweight-desktop.html

Features of Phoronix Test Suite 1.4

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoronix Test Suite 1.4 "Orkdal" will be released tomorrow, and while this
| release is coming just two months after the release of Phoronix Test Suite
| 1.2, there are in fact quite a few changes for this Q4'08 release. In two
| months time we have pushed out five development releases of Orkdal, there are
| over 220 official changes, and the diff output between the Malvik and Orkdal
| releases amount to over 20,000 lines of code. The most prominent features in
| Orkdal are compatibility the Mac OS X operating system, support for Cascading
| Test Profiles, support for Self-Contained Test Profiles, new modules being
| added, updates to all in-tree test profiles, WINE test coverage, and improved
| hardware/software detection.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pts_orkdal_features&num=1

Recent:

Trying out LXDE

,----[ Quote ]
| This is my first time to try out LXDE. I am curious about it and there are
| certain things that I am glad are in LXDE. For one thing, Alt+F2 also pops up
| a run dialog box so I could type the name of the application I want to run.
| There are even suggestions as to what I could run when I typed the first how
| many letters of the application’s name.
`----

http://www.newlinuxuser.com/trying-out-lxde/

Lighten up your desktop.

,----[ Quote ]
| For those of you who have older machinery or just wish to extract every ounce
| of speed from your machine there is a new offering that has just hit the
| Debian Lenny repositories. It is called LXDE. You can find more information
| about it from their web site here.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/lighten-up-your-desktop-26147

Lightweight GNOME alternative emerges