Re: [News] A Look at the Linux-based Challenger to ZFS

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:43:01 -0700
Snit <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Michael B. Trausch" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
> 20081031225131.4c481327@zest on 10/31/08 7:51 PM:
>

> > That's the wonderful thing about systems that provide choice to you:
> > you can choose whether you care about the choices or not.  ;-)
>
> But with so many choices, what choices do developers develop for?  It
> is a problem with Linux - as seen by the UI inconsistencies.

Trimming is good, ya know?

If you like a consistent interface, use GTK/GNOME software with GNOME,
Qt/KDE software with KDE, and Win32/Win32-targeted software with
Windows.  The software I use is pretty consistent from application to
application, but then again, I don't mix-and-match software from
different toolkits together.  I think it's æsthetically displeasing,
for starters.  Lack of consistency between them is going to be natural,
for no other reason than if they were all cloning each other, it'd be a
bunch of redundant work.

This is why Microsoft, Apple, and the GNOME developers have HIG
documents that state the rules for interfaces for those systems.  Maybe
one day there will be a universal HIG standard of some sort, if anyone
cares enough to create such a thing.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.