[News] [Rival] Microsoft Manipulates Politicians Over Control of Airwaves

Gates, Microsoft lobby FCC for unlicensed white spaces use

,----[ Quotq ]
| Microsoft is lobbying the FCC this week to allow unlicensed use of
| so-called "white spaces" television spectrum for wireless Internet services.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/2008/10/27/27idg-Gates-Microsof.html

Microsoft urges FCC vote on airwaves access

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chief Strategy Officer Craig Mundie said a plan to use television
| airwaves for free Internet access may face significant delays if the Federal
| Communications Commission puts off a vote next week.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_10831027?nclick_check=1

1-Microsoft's Gates steps up FCC "white space" lobbying

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates and other Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock
| Buzz) officials stepped up lobbying of top U.S. communications regulators on
| Monday, ahead of an important vote next week to open up unused wireless
| airwaves.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSN2733692620081027

Why the heck is Man in Sweater intervening again? He only ruins the US. Didn't
he call for more visas, which according to BusinessWeek are turning out to be
fraud? Doesn't he personally fund Republicans and patent trolls like Nathan
MyhTroll?

Recent:

Tech lobbying groups look into possible merger

,----[ Quote ]
| The merger is not a done deal yet, but both groups say that there needs to be
| further consolidation in tech lobbying. The industry has several other trade
| groups as well: including the Consumer Electronics Association, the Computer
| & Communications Industry Association, the Computing Technology Industry
| Association, the Business Software Alliance, and the Information Technology
| Industry Council.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10040681-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft spent more than $2.3M to lobby in 2Q

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/07/31/ap5276736.html

Microsoft Leads Tech Lobbying Pack

,----[ Quote ]
| "As tech becomes more mainstream, you'll see even more spending on lobbying,"
| Microsoft spokesperson Ginny Terzano said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Government/Microsoft-Leads-Tech-Lobbying-Pack/

Microsoft Taps Legal Czar [Lobbyist] Amid EU, OOXML Woes

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft announced Monday it has hired a former European diplomat to lead
| its dealings with the European Union (EU).
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/government/article.php/3750596

Google and Yahoo Small Fries In Lobbying

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to lobbying Congress, Google and Yahoo are relative
| lightweights compared to other companies. Both companies combined spent about
| $1.3 million last quarter--$730,000 from Google and $630,000 from Yahoo.
| Microsoft nearly doubled them, and Verizon, as a single company, has spent
| three times as much as all three.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year a total of $2.82 billion was spent lobbying Congress, according to
| OpenSecrets.org, and 2008 is well on its way to surpassing the $3 billion
| mark.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/07/31/google-and-yahoo-small-fries-in-lobbying

GeekPAC to fight for information rights

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year California Assemblyman Mark Leno authored AB 1668, a bill designed
| to encourage the state to adopt the Open Document Format as the standard
| format for government documents. Not surprisingly, Microsoft came out against
| the bill and it was eventually struck down in committee. CollabNet Community
| Manager and longtime FOSS supporter John Mark Walker was angry. Realizing
| that the open source community had no voice during the hearings and no way to
| fight back against the opposition's lobbyists, Walker decided to mobilize
| support from within the ranks of the FOSS community and let them do what they
| do best — rally behind a cause and prove once again that there's strength in
| numbers. So he founded GeekPAC.
|
| GeekPAC's goal is to pull together enough funding — a mere $2,200 — to file
| the necessary paperwork to be formally recognized by the Federal Elections
| Committee as a Political Action Committee (PAC). Then the group will locate
| politicians or candidates in the House and Senate who support hot-button
| technology issues like copyright reform and net neutrality. Once identified,
| GeekPAC will help support their campaigns and lobby together for change.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/293811/

Related:

Mr. Microsoft goes to Washington

,----[ Quote ]
| As I suspected, Microsoft spends a whole lot more than that on lobbying. For
| the first half of last year, Microsoft spent $4.78 million on lobbying
| activities, according to the report it filed with Congress. It's full-year
| 2007 report is not yet available.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9872573-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft trying to derail Google/DoubleClick deal by lobbying congress

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has hired lobbying firm Patton Boggs LLC to do work on "competitive
| issues surrounding Google/DoubleClick [sic] merger."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070816-microsoft-spends-40000-to-lobby-congress-about-googledoubleclick-merger.html

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Politics and tech companies: follow the money

Changing the Report, After the Vote

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation

| It was just a bit of text advocating open data formats that was slipped into
| a Florida State Senate bill at the last minute with no fanfare, but within
| 24 hours three Microsoft-paid lobbyists, all wearing black suits, were
| pressuring members of the Senate Committee on Governmental Operations
| (COGO) to remove the words they didn't like from Senate bill 1974.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244&from=rss

Politicians in Microsoft's Pocket

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing on the theme of which politicians are receiving money from
| who. Here is a list of candidates who took money from MSFT.
`----

http://www.fonz.net/blog/archives/2007/06/04/politicians-in-microsofts-pocket/

Kroes slams US criticism of EU Microsoft ruling

,----[ Quote ]
| Kroes said that it was "unacceptable" that a representative of the US
| judiciary should criticise a court of law outside his jurisdiction.
|
| “It is absolutely not done,” she told journalists on Wednesday.
|
| “The European commission does not pass judgement on US rulings and we should
| expect the same from the US.”
`----

http://www.eupolitix.com/EN/News/200709/87884c7c-c721-49b1-b6f0-5ba4ece0897c.htm

Microsoft, The European Union, and the United States: A Statement by the AAI

,----[ Quote ]
| The AAI comments on the European Court of First Instance's upholding of the
| EC's Microsoft decision, taking the USDOJ to task for poor diplomacy and
| mistaken policy in its criticism of the EC.
`----

http://www.antitrustinstitute.org/Archives/miceu3.ashx

Microsoft sets spinners on court verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may have lost in court, but it quickly tried to win the war of
| media reaction via organisations like CompTIA, the Computing Technology
| Industry Association and ACT (the Association for Competitive Technology)
| which both intervened in court on its side.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/17/reaction_microsoft_verdict/

Report Says Nonprofits Sold Influence to Abramoff

,----[ Quote ]
| E-mails released by the committee show that Abramoff, often
| with the knowledge of the groups' leaders, exploited the tax-exempt
| status and leveraged the stature of the organizations to build
| support among conservatives for legislation or government action
| sought by clients including Microsoft Corp., mutual fund company
| DH2 Inc., Primedia Inc.'s Channel One Network, and Brown-Forman,
| maker of Jack Daniel's whiskey.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/12/AR2006101200889.html
http://tinyurl.com/y2rbpu

Microsoft Paid Lobbyist $160,000

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Paid Paid Bingham McCutchen $160,000 to Lobby Federal Gov't in
| First Half of 2007
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070905/microsoft_lobbying.html?.v=1

Legal blow to secret government lobbying

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/02/berr_lobby_openess/