[News] GNU/Linux Evolves Without Slowing Down (or Hardly So)

Fedora 7 to 10 Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Lenovo ThinkPad T60 we used for testing the performance in Fedora 7
| through 10 hadn't swayed nearly as much as it did with Ubuntu 7.04 through
| 8.10. In a few tests we witnessed Fedora 9 and Fedora 10 Snapshot 3 running a
| few percent slower than Fedora 7 and Fedora 8, but not by a large magnitude.
| Additionally, Fedora 10 Snapshot 3 is a development release that will run
| slower than the final release of Fedora 10 due to the debugging support.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_test_2008&num=1

The slowdown is Ubuntu specific. Still, nothing compared to Vista's
pig-isation.

Recent:

Windows 7: Oops! Microsoft did it again!

,----[ Summary ]
| My initial evaluation of Windows 7 shows that it's really just Vista with a
| fresh coat of paint
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2008/10/windows_7_oops.html

Related:

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

,----[ Quote ]
| After extensive testing of both RTM and SP1-patched versions of Windows
| Vista, it seems clear that the hoped-for performance fixes that Microsoft has
| been hinting at never materialized. Vista + SP1 is no faster than Vista from
| the RTM image.
|
| Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows
| Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many
| predicted. In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or
| bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that
| were "barn-burners" under Windows XP.
`----

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11/vista-sp1-performance-dud.html

Vista SP1 vs. XP SP2 - Benchmarked