[News] MSBBC Surrenders to GNU/Linux, DRM on the Ropes

Ubuntu Brings the BBC to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The saga is still unfolding, and DRM technologies are still stuck on being
| invasive, intrusive, shoddy, and ineffective. Who designs these things? Are
| the bright developers being foiled by PHBs? Or are the smart developers all
| busy doing other things, and the only ones left are the janitors? Who are
| plenty intelligent, but not hip to coding. Or maybe they are hip to coding
| and making DRM sucky on purpose. At any rate it is lame that in this glorious
| year 2008 of the 21st century, we are still hearing the same stupid excuses
| about why non-Windows users don't matter.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2008/10/bbbc-totem-ubun.html

Research on BBC content for GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| We then worked with Canonical and their software partners Collabra to deliver
| this feed to the Totem media player, and Gstreamer multimedia platform, to
| display available content in a simple, browsable window using a free software
| plugin, where the feed is updated using the Internet, when the user starts
| the player.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/10/research_on_bbc_content_for_gn.html

They were supposed to go with standards.

Recent:

Dirac 1.0.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Dirac is an advanced royalty-free video compression format designed for a
| wide range of uses, from delivering low-resolution web content to
| broadcasting HD and beyond, to near-lossless studio editing. The v1.0.0
| version was released yesterday, and the new VLC version supports playback
| of .ts/.drc Dirac files.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/20301/Dirac_1_0_0_Released

Worlds first high performance Dirac video codec implementation available

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10452.html