[News] Diversity in GNU/Linux Helps the Charity-killing Company

Clutter is Good for Intel's Moblin Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What's the key to more Linux adoption on mobile devices? Intel wants to know.
| The chipmaker is searching for answers with its Moblin 2.0 mobile Linux
| project.
|
| The Moblin 2.0 effort includes a new user interface technology that Intel
| (NASDAQ: INTC) hopes will improve the user's mobile experience. That starts
| with a look and feel that pushes the envelope.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3781131/Clutter+is+Good+for+Intels+Moblin+Linux.htm

Recent:

Support grows for Intel's mobile Linux despite slip

,----[ Quote ]
| Delays to the latest version of Intel's project putting an open-source stack
| on its Atom processors have not deterred IT companies from early backing for
| the platform.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/24/gos_netbook_moblin/

Intel CEO: Linux to dominate MIDs

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the Linux netbook genre received a boost this week when Dell started
| running its first major advertisements about a Linux-based system. According
| to a story from The VAR Guy, Dell started running multi-page newspaper ads
| specifically hawking its first Linux netbook, the Dell Inspiron Mini 9
| (pictured).
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9783019417.html?kc=rss

Moblin to Ship the Lion's Share of Linux Mobile Internet Device Operating
Systems, According to ABI Research

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mobile Internet Device (MID) market is shaping up as a very promising
| greenfield opportunity for mobile operating system vendors to find new
| outlets for their products.Linux will be an important part of this market
| from the start and will be championed by solutions such as Moblin and
| Maemo.ABI Research expects that by 2013, 86 million Linux-enabled MID
| products will ship per annum, with Moblin taking 42% of the market.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/moblin-ship-lions-share-linux/story.aspx?guid=%7B2456DB0B-64FB-4D6F-AF20-E2DCA1AC9561%7D&dist=hppr

Re-jigged Intel mobile Linux stack dumps Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Dirk Hohndel, Intel's director of Linux and open-source strategy, told The
| Reg there was no falling out with Ubuntu, but the move to Fedora was a
| technical decision based on the desire to adopt RPM for package management.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/moblin_reworked/

Intel says Linux-based Moblin update coming soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel is readying a second release of the Moblin open-source platform for
| mobile computing, with plans set for an alpha-level version in a few weeks,
| an Intel official said at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention (OSCON) in the
| US on Wednesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=90654714&rid=-50

Related:

How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!

,----[ Quote ]
| So therefore, best way to win the war of the operating systems is not to go
| after the high end market.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=352

Low-cost laptops make PC makers mull margins

,----[ Quote ]
| “Computers have been an exception. If you look at consumer electronics, a DVD
| player was about $800 10 years ago – now they sell for $20,” she says. “The
| [computer] industry has been able to keep the price flat by focusing on
| gazillion-gigahertz machines running really bloated software and that’s
| worked for years since the IBM PC revolution.”
|
| [...]
|
| OLPC found a strong uptake for a “give one, get one” campaign it launched in
| North America in November. It discovered consumers were willing to pay $400
| for an XO – the price meant another XO would be given free to a
| developing-world child. It is now launching OLPC America to extend the cheap
| laptop concept for children in the US.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cfba14f4-cf64-11dc-854a-0000779fd2ac.html

Linux Has Won, Windows is Gone

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry Windows you have already lost this battle. There is no way to reverse
| this and no amount of incentives that Microsoft can offer to convince people
| and governments that they will be safe if they switch back to Windows. Lets
| be honest here for a moment. Would your trust America's nuclear technologies
| to be run on Windows? What happens when it bluescreens, yeah you get my point
| don't you?
`----

http://linuxhow2.com/News/Linux_Has_Won_Windows_is_Gone.html

Intel launches mobile Linux initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel has unveiled an ambitious project aimed at developing open source
| software for mobile devices. The Moblin project comprises a Linux kernel, UI
| framework, browser, multimedia framework, and embedded Linux image creation
| tools, along with developer resources such as documentation, mailing lists,
| and an IRC channel.

Ubuntu Mobile and Moblin: just the facts

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/04/ubuntu-mobile-a.html