[News] Linux Kernel Summit Videos Available (Also as Ogg Theora)

Torvalds: Real quality means taking it personally

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has posted a ten-minute video interview with kernel
| coordinator Linus Torvalds. Held during the Linux Foundation's recent Linux
| Kernel Summit, the interview reveals the Linux founder speaking out on issues
| ranging from kernel/userland interactions to why Linux has so many
| interfaces.

180MB Ogg. Pretty decent. More here:

Kernel Summit 2008 Video

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/events/Kernel+Summit+2008/video/

John Galt is dead or Linus shrugs

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea has been taking a beating lately, what with even Alan Greenspan
| admitting the ideology is flawed.
|
| But those of us in the open source movement knew those ideas were bogus a
| decade ago. John Galt, meet Linus Torvalds.
|
| Linus is the anti-Galt. He is naturally shy, he likes teams. He is more
| interested in solving a problem than in anything else.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3027

Recent:

Linus Torvalds' Followup On Software Security, Sensationalism And
Self-Stimulating Simians

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is his response:
|
| Heh. I did talk to an OpenBSD [developer], and offered to apologize if they
| really thought "masturbating monkeys" was offensive, but at least that
| developer just found it funny.
|
| So from that (admittedly very limited) sample, the actual developers are sane
| people, and (as usual) the problem is the whole media circus around security.
| Which was the whole point of the thread and the context in which I called
| people monkeys in the first place, which is kind of ironic.
|
| Not that I'm surprised, of course.
|
| Anyway, I find - yet again - that security issues get sensationalized, and
| that people seem to have trouble reacting to them sanely and with any kind of
| rational behavior. Which is what I was ranting against.
|
| And yes, I think I was extremely unfair in ranting against the OpenBSD
| developers, although the reason I picked them was that they exemplify to a
| lot of people a single-mindedness about security.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/209101208?cid=topicalFeed

What Linus Torvalds thinks about OpenBSD

,----[ Quote ]
| The gist of Torvalds' longer argument is that there are more interesting bugs
| out there than just security bugs. On that topic I heartily agree with the
| God of Linux. While I am also a contributor to the security bug hype often
| focusing stories that I write on those issues, as a user I know full well
| that it's often the 'regular' bugs that are the issues that actually affect
| me the most.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/07/what-linus-torvalds-thinks-abo.html

Linus : why are we not offended?