[News] New Operating System for OpenMoko, More on Linux/Free Phones

OpenMoko's OM2008.9 for the Neo FreeRunner

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenMoko project recently released a much-needed update to the official
| software stack of the Neo FreeRunner. I've had a FreeRunner for a few months
| and during that time I have used it to run everything from Debian to Qtopia
| (now known as QT Extended), so when OpenMoko announced the OM2008.9 update I
| eagerly upgraded to see what it had to offer.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/openmokos-om20089-neo-freerunner

This week in open source: Android, Fennec, Qt for S60

,----[ Quote ]
| This was an exciting week for open source mobile technologies. Google finally
| released the source code for its Linux-based Android mobile platform. The
| source code can be obtained from the kernel.org git repository and Google has
| published documentation at the Android wiki describing how third-party
| developers can contribute code to the project.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081025-this-week-in-open-source-android-fennec-qt-for-s60.html

Recent:

OpenMoko CEO: Embrace fragmentation, diversity is a strength

,----[ Quote ]
| During his presentation, Moss-Pultz looked back at the successes and
| challenges encountered by the OpenMoko community in the past year and talked
| about how the project's adaptability and commitment to freedom have
| contributed to its current status.
|
| Although the OpenMoko concept was initially met with enormous skepticism, it
| has achieved success and is now generating profit. The company's first
| handset, the Neo1973, was manufactured in limited quantity and sold out
| completely within the first three days after it launched. Demand for the
| product was unexpectedly high, and Moss-Pultz humorously remarked that it
| probably would have sold out faster if the servers had been able to better
| withstand the massive traffic.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080918-openmoko-ceo-embrace-fragmentation-diversity-is-a-strength.html

Open source phone goes to college

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenLab will encourage students to develop their own projects based on
| Openmoko software and hardware, says Openmoko. Working with National Tsing
| Hua University, Openmoko has developed a curriculum for OpenLab that is being
| released under a creative commons share-alike license.
|
| [...]
|
| Stated Jyuo-Min-Shyu, Dean, Tsing Hua College of Electronic Engineering and
| Computer Sciences, "The lab is great, and we have Neo FreeRunner phones right
| at our students' fingertips."
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8959938447.html?kc=rss

Open Linux phone gets datacasts

,----[ Quote ]
| The Communications Research Center Canada (CRC) has created a prototype
| handset that can receive datacasting signals. Its Linux-based "Openmokast"
| phone is built atop OpenMoko's open-source Neo FreeRunner phone platform, and
| along with typical smartphone functions, supports reception of live digital
| radio, video, and data broadcasts.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6565189083.html?kc=rss

I'm super excited to begin work on this project [porting DeviceScape to the
OpenMoko]

,----[ Quote ]
| To the best of my knowledge this is the first (or one of the first) non-FIC
| commercial applications being ported/developed for the OpenMoko/FreeRunner
| stack.
`----

http://blog.holdenkarau.com/2008/08/im-super-excited-to-begin-work-on-this.html

First Openmoko Custom Phone Now Available and Wears a Debian Plaid Kilt

,----[ Quote ]
| The Openmoko Neo Freerunner phone was released only a few weeks ago, and
| already, a customized version called the W.E. Phone is now available for
| purchase. So what's the difference between the naked-as-a-baby Neo and the
| Canadian-based W.E.? The latter comes with a full bundle of custom Google
| applications, on top of the core GNU/Linux OS base with dialing, SMS and
| contacts.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/07/first-openmoko.html

OpenMoko Neo Freerunner - Part 1