Re: [News] New Guide to GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:11:11 +0900, Ian Hilliard wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The netbook newbie's guide to Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | This is a series about the Linux OS on netbooks, but we need to
>> remind | ourselves that these devices aren't personal computers. The
>> personal | computer is a machine you work on. Netbooks are essentially
>> machines you | work through, out into the Cloud.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/28/netbook_linux_guide_2/
>>

> This is not actually true.
>
> I've just come back from another business trip, where all that I had was
> an MSI Wind U100 with Ubuntu 8.04 loaded.
>
> Apart from the things like e-mail, telephoning, etc.. the machine spent
> a lot of time hooked up to projectors in meetings. Here programs like
> freemind and planner came to the fore. I also produced a number of
> presentations which were as smooth as silk on the little machine.
>
> The four to five hours of battery life and the small size make the Wind
> perfect for working on planes and in airports. The light weight makes it
> great for carrying.
>
> After just about every meeting I had people coming up and asking about
> the great little laptop. They realized that the desktop was a little
> different, but when they saw the familiar Windows application running,
> they were convinced that it was Windows after all. When asked, I would
> explain that Linux kept the machine secure and Crossover Office let me
> run the Windows applications that they had seen.
>
> The only weakness with this little laptop is the screen resolution. A
> 12" screen with 1280x800 would make it just about perfect. This would
> preclude the use of Windows XP, but the use of Crossover office should
> fill the gap. I think that these mini-laptops running Linux are destined
> to be a popular business traveller's accessory.
>
> Ian

Great post Ian!

I totally agree with you.

I use my Linux EeePC900 (similar to the Acer Aspire One) for all kind of
things.

My unit is the subject of my article:
http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/doku.php?
id=eeepc900_external_rear_antenna_connector_mod

Just last night I used it to give my X10 presentation at my local Linux
User Group:-
http://wifi.homelinux.com/docuwiki/doku.php?id=x10_home_automation

I used it connected to a LCD projector, where it used the full res of the
projector automatically, and also displayed Firefox on its small 1024x600
screen.

I controlled the presentation with a Genius USB remote laser hand
controller, moving up and down threu the pages of mt presentation while
sitting back in the audience.

After the presentation, I connected the X10 gear to the EeePC and
remotely controlled some lamps at the LUG.

The whole meeting went for about 4 hrs and my Eeepc was on the whole
time, running only from its battery. I don't even bother taking the Eeepc
mains power pack anywhere these days.

As usual, the older laptop owners were looking for their powerpacks after
a couple of hours.

Oh, one more thing. My EeeePC900 was also running Kismet with flite the
whole time, and every time someone in the meeting connected to the local
Wlan during my presentation, my Eeepc would speak the ESSID and other
details of the new wifi client out loudly!

Cheers
Terry