Re: [News] New Guide to GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The netbook newbie's guide to Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This is a series about the Linux OS on netbooks, but we need to remind
> | ourselves that these devices aren't personal computers. The personal
> | computer is a machine you work on. Netbooks are essentially machines you
> | work through, out into the Cloud.
> `----
>
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/28/netbook_linux_guide_2/

This is not actually true.

I've just come back from another business trip, where all that I had was an
MSI Wind U100 with Ubuntu 8.04 loaded.

Apart from the things like e-mail, telephoning, etc.. the machine spent a
lot of time hooked up to projectors in meetings. Here programs like
freemind and planner came to the fore. I also produced a number of
presentations which were as smooth as silk on the little machine.

The four to five hours of battery life and the small size make the Wind
perfect for working on planes and in airports. The light weight makes it
great for carrying.

After just about every meeting I had people coming up and asking about the
great little laptop. They realized that the desktop was a little different,
but when they saw the familiar Windows application running, they were
convinced that it was Windows after all. When asked, I would explain that
Linux kept the machine secure and Crossover Office let me run the Windows
applications that they had seen.

The only weakness with this little laptop is the screen resolution. A 12"
screen with 1280x800 would make it just about perfect. This would preclude
the use of Windows XP, but the use of Crossover office should fill the gap.
I think that these mini-laptops running Linux are destined to be a popular
business traveller's accessory.

Ian