[News] Red Hat Improves Linux Startup Sequence

A Closer Look At Red Hat's Plymouth

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in July we shared Red Hat's intentions to replace RHGB with Plymouth, a
| new graphical boot process that is able to benefit from the latest Linux
| graphics capabilities. Red Hat engineers had primarily designed Plymouth
| around a forthcoming feature we've talked about quite a bit known as kernel
| mode-setting, which provides end-users with a cleaner and flicker-free boot
| experience. In September in The State of Kernel Mode-Setting we then shared
| more information on Plymouth along with a brief video. Most recently we
| published another video of Plymouth that shows the tighter integration
| between the boot process and starting the GNOME Display Manager. Today though
| we are looking at Plymouth and its different plug-ins along with providing a
| few more videos.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_plymouth&num=1

Interview: Fedora 10’s Better Startup

,----[ Quote ]
| For the longest time now, GNU/Linux distributions have been criticised by
| desktop and laptop users for starting up too slowly. More recently, within
| the Fedora community particularly there have been increasing numbers of
| complaints about the amount of “flicker” that happens as the system switched
| from Grub to RHGB to GDM etc. Fedora 10 is going to change all of that,
| however, and to talk us through this feature Fedora developers Adam Jackson
| and Ray Strode agreed to an interview.
`----

http://fedoramagazine.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/interview-fedora-10s-better-startup/

Recent:

Kernel space: ELF prediction to speed application startup

,----[ Quote ]
| A new technique might make it faster to get started with a large application,
| by giving the kernel advance notice of what are most likely to be the
| program's commonly used memory pages
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=369937208&rid=-219

Related:

Startup times

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS 2007 (on my home laptop, a middle-of-the-road machine): 40 seconds
| Mandriva 2008: 40 seconds
| Xubuntu 7.10: 45 seconds
| openSUSE 10.3 (clean install, OSS/KDE): about 45 seconds
| Fedora 8: about 50 seconds (a huge improvement over the last few versions :-)
| Windows Vista: 3 minutes 45 seconds
| ...What?
`----

http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2007/12/startup-times.html

Ubuntu vs. That Other OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Both machines have the same exact specs, both have been used for the same
| time (to be fair I have tweaked the OS on the left quite a bit to optimize
| it). Ubuntu is already idle by the time the video ends; while the other PC
| takes 30 seconds more than what I’ve uploaded to idle the hard drive.
`----

http://blog.estebanglas.com.ar/2007/11/ubuntu-vs-that-other-os/

Is your Anti-Virus software slowing down your Vista boot time?

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft first announced the feature set for Vista, one of the things
| they claimed was that you would actually have shorter startup times, but we
| later discovered that what they meant was that there would be power saving
| features that would make it easy to put your PC into sleep mode when you're
| not using it and quickly resume.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/12/10/is-your-anti-virus-software-slowing-down-your-vista-boot-time/

The Vista Sleep of Death

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, I have to admit I did have issues with the Vista Sleep of Death
| (so-called). Sometimes my computer would go into sleep mode and be difficult
| to wake up.
`----

http://www.alaskainmydreams.com/blog/?p=73

Windows Vista's Hideous Wakeup Support

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing we just can't wrap our mind about is the terrible,
| broken, and completely pitiful support for waking Vista up from
| a Deep Sleep or hibernation.' Any time you attempt to wake Vista
| up from Hibernation or "Deep Sleep" (S3-induced sleep mode), it
| dies. It's either a BSOD, or a driver error, or a broken network,
| no DWM, lack of sound... the list goes on, and on. So much for an
| operating system to "power" the future! (No pun intended!) That's
| with properly-signed drivers and no buggy software on
| multiple PCs...
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/299

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

,----[ Quote ]
| After extensive testing of both RTM and SP1-patched versions of Windows
| Vista, it seems clear that the hoped-for performance fixes that Microsoft has
| been hinting at never materialized. Vista + SP1 is no faster than Vista from
| the RTM image.
|
| Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows
| Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many
| predicted. In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or
| bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that
| were "barn-burners" under Windows XP.
`----

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11/vista-sp1-performance-dud.html

Vista Irritations

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this Slashdot article, copying, moving and deleting
| files is slower under Vista. At least now I know why extracting a
| compressed file under Vista is like watching paint dry/grass grow
| (I've only tried using Winzip 11).
|
| [...]
|
| Now we name our directory and it?s done right? Not quite, because
| after typing your directory name and pressing enter, it's time
| for yet more prompts...
`----

http://harrisben.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/vista-irritations/

Vista: Slow and Dangerous

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the time I spent testing Vista was with sluggish pre-release
| versions. I expected things to improve when I ran the finished software
| on PCs configured for the new Windows version. I now realize that
| Vista really is slow unless you throw a lot of hardware at it.
| Microsoft claims it will run with 512 megabytes of memory. I had
| recommended a minimum of a gigabyte, but 2 GB is more like it if
| you want snappy performance.
|
| [...]
|
| The most exasperating thing about Vista, though, is the security
| feature called User Account Control. UAC, satirized in an Apple
| ad as a security guy who constantly interrupts a conversation,
| appears as a pop-up asking permission before Windows...
`----

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/BusinessWeek/2007/03/26/3124001

Copying files across LAN with Vista is deathly slow

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/109009593831

Copying files across LAN with Vista is deathly slow

,----[ Quote ]
| Copying files from my XP video capture pc to my Vista pc is 3 times
| slower than copying from my XP video capture PC to my old XP PC.
`----

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/109009593831

The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files from a server
on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer

,----[ Quote ]