[News] Microsoft Loses Control to GNU/Linux on the BIOS

The Race to Instant-On Computers Begins

,----[ Quote ]
| But rather than the oft-discussed head-to-head battle between Linux and
| Windows, we’re seeing Linux latch onto Windows almost like a parasite in a
| symbiotic relationship with its host.
|
| All of the shipping or soon-to-ship instant-on systems use a thinned-down
| version of Linux as a base for presenting the quick Internet applications.
| This makes sense because computer makers can customize Linux to boot fast and
| use the software for free, meaning they don’t add much extra cost to each
| computer.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/the-race-to-instant-on-computers-begins/

Faster booting with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The intriguing part of all this is that we might finally get the instant-on
| capability for some pretty standard apps. The bizarre part is that the way to
| speed up your slow OS load it you actually load two different OSes. Sort of
| like running a five-kilometer race before you run your marathon. Meanwhile,
| Microsoft is now stating that similar technology could be part of Windows 7,
| presumably in 2010 and without using any of that open source voodoo.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/10/faster_booting.html

Recent:

DeviceVM's proprietary/Linux split explained

,----[ Quote ]
| Covering Asus' adoption of DeviceVM's Splashtop software in all its
| motherboards and some laptops, we were wondering exactly which parts were
| proprietary and which were Linux - hence pulling back from calling it
| a "Linux OS".
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008346o-2000331761b,00.htm

Related:

Linux is Part of Asus’s Long Term Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus announced three new Linux products.
|
| I would even go so far to say that if Asus keeps up its support of Linux, it
| may be the company that is credited with bringing Linux on the desktop to the
| masses.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/02/02/linux-is-part-of-asuss-long-term-plan/

Feeling the heat at Microsoft