[News] GPLv3 and Free Software in General Keep Growing

GPL Project Watch List for Week of 10/24

,----[ Quote ]
| This week our GPL v3 count is at 3349 GPL v3 projects, an increase of 112 GPL
| v3 projects. The AGPL v3 count is at 181 AGPL v3 projects. The LGPL v3 number
| is at 400 LGPL v3 projects, an increase of 55 LGPL v3 projects.
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/10/gpl-project-watch-list-for-week-of-1024.html

Open Source Coding: A new buzzword for college graduates

,----[ Quote ]
| Two of the key contributors to Linux and Open Source are Google and Red Hat (
| I am deliberately ignoring others!). Google reports, each time you use the
| Google search engine, you are using open source software, which relies on the
| Linux kernel, GCC, Python and Samba, and commits code into each of those
| projects. Google maintains a healthy relationship with the open source
| software development community by releasing Google-created code, providing
| vital infrastructure, and by creating new open source software developers
| through programs such as the Google Summer of Code. Red Hat offers a summer
| intern program and certification courses for undergraduates, graduates, and
| candidates who hold a master’s degree in business administration.
`----

http://brajeshwar.com/2008/open-source-coding-a-new-buzzword-for-college-graduates/

Related:

Clearing up anti-GPL3 FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the bad publicity about GPL3 is deliberate. A particularly
| bad article by Dan Lyons of Forbes magazine painted an offensive
| picture of GPL3 and Richard Stallman, even accusing Stallman of
| having sex with flowers (!!!) after Lyons failed to comprehend
| a scientific joke.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/3/22/16651/

Perens Lashes Out at Claims GPL 3 Brings Legal Risks

,----[ Quote ]
| "Let's make it clear that [ACT] is Microsoft's lobbying front and
| that they are going to paint as negative a picture as they can,"
| Perens told eWEEK in an interview.
|
| "Obviously, GPL software is displacing Microsoft enough to have
| them concerned, and it's doing it at customers who are important
| to them. A lawyer's job is to scare the other side if they can--because
| they know it's cheaper than winning a case in court," he said.

Open sourcerers do battle for GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Taylor, a former head of the Open Source Consortium in the UK,
| thinks the whole thing is being blown out of all proportion.
|
| He told us: "The only people worrying about the GPL draft are people
| like ACT. Everyone else is really pleased with the draft. The original
| GPL aimed to prevent deals like the one between Novell and Microsoft.
| They just found a loophole. This draft closes it."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/10/open_gpl3/

Microsoft: shades of Saddam Hussein

,----[ Quote ]
| When they write the history of the computer history 10 years from now, the
| date May 14, 2007 will be marked in red: it's the day when everyone knew
| that Microsoft was starting to go down the tube.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12225&Itemid=1091

Microsoft patent claims complicated by GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1108052425&rid=-50