[News] [Rival] The Microsoft IDC Shill Blasted for Attacking VMware with FUD

VMware denies Microsoft gained market share at its expense

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware Inc. officials have objected to an assertion by IDC that VMware has
| lost some of its industry-leading market share to Microsoft Corp., claiming
| instead that Microsoft's new Hyper-V product has barely made a dent in sales
| in the short time it's been available.
|
| [....]
|
| DiPetrillo accused IDC of basing the 23% figure on OEMs' unit shipments, but
| this does not appear to be true. The IDC survey did examine OEM vendors,
| including Hewlett-Packard Co. and Dell Inc., that offer servers that have
| already been virtualized. But that was a separate comparison, and there's no
| indication in IDC's report that the VMware/Microsoft market share comparison
| was limited to OEM sales. IDC analyst Brett Waldman explained IDC's
| methodology in a phone interview Wednesday, saying the analyst firm
| determined market share by surveying more than 2,500 virtualization users
| from 35 countries, examining public filings and having conversations with
| vendors.  IDC's user survey looked at all new server virtualization licenses,
| regardless of whether they were sold through
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9117960&intsrc=hm_list

Recent:

The Power of Perception

,----[ Quote ]
| A campaign featuring Jerry Seinfeld may well succeed in changing this and
| convincing consumers to run Vista. But will it change the perceptions of IT
| professionals in large organizations? I wouldn't bet against it. We all like
| to think we are rational agents, but in reality we are all still susceptible
| to advertising — even Microsoft's.
|
| Let's take a look at the Linux market. Linux has many things going for it,
| yet it makes up just 13.4 percent of total server revenue. (Don't forget,
| many servers run Linux but don't generate revenue for vendors.)
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3769301

Related:

MS struggles to discredit Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What's cheaper than an OS you can buy outright once and install on every PC
| in your shop -- and upgrade cost-free for eternity to boot? Why, a slew of
| cheesy licenses for Microsoft Windows, 'Doze Division VP Brian Valentine
| claims in his latest cheerleading effort for his sales associates.
|
| That's right; a putatively independent analysis by 'we'll-conclude-anything'
| whores DH Brown is going to rip Linux a new one and find that Windows is
| actually cheaper. How Valentine knows this is anyone's guess. Perhaps he has
| a mole in the Brown organization as good as the one we have in his. Or
| perhaps MS simply paid for it. We don't know.
|
| It also appears that MS has bought off a number of Linux/Sun 'insiders' whose
| job it will be to explain to the sales team how to pitch the illusory
| advantages of Windows to unsuspecting IT managers. "Dumber people can run
| Windows" is the best advert I personally can come up with, though this is
| without the benefit of expensive analysts and turncoat 'insiders' to feed me
| intriguing tidbits.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/01/02/ms_struggles_to_discredit_linux/

Microsoft urges resellers to play it straight, beef up revs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has claimed that each dollar it “loses” to software piracy equals
| $5.50 in “lost opportunities” to the firm’s channel partners.
|
| A Microsoft-sponsored white paper (pdf) released by IT analyst house IDC
| yesterday highlights the effects of copyright infringement on the software
| ecosystem across the tech industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The BSA has claimed that the value of just PC software that was counterfeited
| in 2007 was close to $50bn worldwide.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/10/microsoft_idc_piracy_claims/

Is Linux really losing market share to Windows? [Gillen lies]

,----[ Quote ]
| Should we be ready, as Kent Brockman might put it, to "welcome our new
| Microsoft overlords," or are the IDC Quarterly Server Tracker figures not
| really reflecting the reality of how servers are used in businesses? I, for
| one, think that what IDC is measuring and what server operating systems
| people are really using are two entirely different things.

Windows Server 2008 catching up with Linux [IDC takes the piss]

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Server 2008  will never be Linux. And it's not likely to woo Linux
| users away from open source anytime soon.
|
| [...]
|
| "There's an anti-Microsoft bias in Unixland," Gillen said. "The more
| Microsoft continues to erase objections [with features like PowerShell and
| Server Core], the harder it is to make the argument that Windows doesn't meet
| their needs."
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1302564,00.html

Microsoft's Sponsored OOXML Study

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Microsoft made available an IDC study about so-called open desktop
| file formats. It's yet another Microsoft propaganda effort, as a crucial
| format standards vote approaches.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/microsofts_sponsored_ooxml_study.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2tx9eo

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy [in Microsoft-commissioned
study]

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
| soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
| ingredient -- other operating systems.

Has IDC got the wrong number for iPhone?

,----[ Quote ]
| IDC has poured cold water on Apple's iPhone just days after a previous survey
| led M:Metrics to talk up the new entry to the cellphone stakes. But are the
| new numbers sound?
|
| [...]
|
| The most obvious difference is in the sample size. M:Metrics had
| 11,060 respondents, IDC just 456. The sample space was also different,
| with M:Metrics apparently sampling from mobile phone subscribers, while
| IDC looked at online mobile phone shoppers.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13036&Itemid=1054

IDC Study:

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
| that we sponsored it."
`----

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

Vista filip for US states, claims IDC

,----[ Quote ]
| While reviewers debate the merits of Windows Vista and analysts puzzle the
| over the pace of adoption, IDC and Microsoft are in little doubt over its
| impact for the economies of America's 50 states.
|
| To date, IDC has estimated Windows Vista will create 37,000 new jobs and
| generate $15.5bn in related products and services across just four US
| states.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/microsoft_windows_vista_idc/

Vista launch to add 100,000 Europe IT jobs: study

,----[ Quote ]
| The study, conducted by research firm IDC and commissioned by Microsoft,
| said Windows Vista will be installed on over 30 million personal computers
| in Denmark, France, Germany, Poland, Spain and United Kingdom within the
| first year of shipment.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060914/tc_nm/microsoft_study_dc

IDC: Windows cheaper than Linux