[News] [Rival] Microsoft Attacks Google by Proxy?

- From Groklaw News Picks (no permanent link):

Viacom's Dauman explains the Google lawsuit & creeps me out

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ: "Viacom's CEO Philippe Dauman, at last year's O'Reilly Web 2.0 summit
| (video), explains the litigation Viacom brought against Google over YouTube
| and the principles he says Google will someday have to agree to, "voluntarily
| or involuntarily," to protect copyright -- the Viacom-spearheaded (with
| Microsoft on board, I notice) "copyright rules of the road". It's a
| bone-chilling performance, to me, because he clearly has no idea how the
| internet is supposed to work or the damage these old guys are planning to do
| to it if they can. And I say that as a person that believes in copyright
| protection. Not to be missed at the end is where a member of the audience
| asks him how he feels about Creative Commons. He seems not to know what it
| is, but he pretends to. He loves all creative people, he says."
`----

http://web2summit.blip.tv/#446369

Lots of articles attacking Yahoo! right now...

Five reasons to buy Yahoo stock

http://money.cnn.com/2008/10/23/magazines/fortune/yahoo_buy.fortune/?postversion=2008102315

An attack on Yahoo, not like the headline may suggest. The usual Microsoft
shill do this too.

Recent:

Viacom 'backs off' YouTube demand

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are pleased to report that Viacom, MTV and other litigants have backed
| off their original demand for all users' viewing histories and we will not be
| providing that information," said a statement on the YouTube blog.
|
| The decision will be welcomed by privacy activists, many of whom expressed
| concern over a US judge's order for Google to provide the data in early July.

Viacom 'backs off' YouTube demand

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are pleased to report that Viacom, MTV and other litigants have backed
| off their original demand for all users' viewing histories and we will not be
| providing that information," said a statement on the YouTube blog.
|
| The decision will be welcomed by privacy activists, many of whom expressed
| concern over a US judge's order for Google to provide the data in early July.

Marc Andreessen To Big, Old Media: You're Screwed

,----[ Quote ]
| In a morning panel session titled “Looking Around the Corner to the Future” –
| which, like all meetings here are closed to the press – Mr. Andreessen told
| the audience, which included many executives from the so-called “old media”
| world, that non-digital businesses are toast.
|
| “He said, ‘If you have old media, you should sell,’” according to one
| attendee, who spoke anonymously because the sessions are off-the-record. “If
| you own newspapers, sell. If you own TV stations, sell. If you own a movie
| studio, sell.”
`----

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/7/marc-andreessen-to-big-old-media-you-re-screwed

Lawyers For ‘Imposter’ P2P Software Threaten Open-Source Team

,----[ Quote ]
| A company trying to pass itself off as vendors of the open-source
| file-sharing software Shareaza, has set the legal dogs on the real Shareaza
| forum. Discordia Ltd, who earlier turned Bearshare and iMesh into pay
| services, demanded action after a member of the real Shareaza forum suggested
| a DOS attack on the site.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/shareaza-imposter-lawyers-threaten-forum-080225/

Related:

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800