[News] [Rival] Financial Times and MS-CNET on Microsoft's Online Starvation

Windows to the future

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem for the Seattle-based group is that it is approaching a
| crossroads. For decades, it has sold PC users, both professional and
| consumer, a full suite of products. Yet the future is à la carte. Instead of
| buying a software licence for everything that might conceivably be needed,
| customers will pick and choose - a slice of word processing please but hold
| the PowerPoint. Software will increasingly be offered as a (low-margin)
| service, run from the internet and piped into the building as necessary.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4771be9a-a163-11dd-82fd-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

When will Microsoft regain its identity?

,----[ Quote ]
| And given its laughable search market share and its inability to make any
| headway in the advertising market, I think it's safe to say that Microsoft
| committed a major blunder.
|
| And now, it's happening all over again.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10074771-17.html

"We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger….If you’re going to kill
someone, there isn’t much reason to get all worked up about it and angry. You
just pull the trigger. Any discussions beforehand are a waste of time. We need
to smile at Novell while we pull the trigger."

                --Jim Allchin, Platform Group Vice President, Microsoft

Recent:

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/149709/microsoft_is_giving_up_on_windows.html

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/microsoft_midori_technical_details/