[News] Open Inventions Network (OIN) Not Interested in Universal Solutions

Software Patents Clubs: Open Innovation Networks is back on stage

,----[ Quote ]
| Keith says that in OIN’s vision there are “good” patents and “bad” patents,
| and they won’t take part in the European software patents debate. All in all
| OIN cares just about Linux, and middleware or application levels are not in
| OIN’s agenda for the time being. Google is proud to participate in OIN’s
| mission, as Di Bona made clear through the official google blog, and that is
| probably good for all (big) Linux end-users.
|
| Will ever OIN go up in the open source software stack?
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/10/24/software-patents-clubs-open-innovation-networks-is-back-on-stage/

The commenter is right:

"Right… so it’s just a patent pool with a misleadingly grandiose name (Open
Invention Network), set up for the benefit of companies using “the Linux
operating system or certain Linux-related applications”.

"Some of those companies lobbied for codification of the EPO’s software patent
granting practices so it’s not surprising OIN won’t take part in the debate
and it is clearly no friend of FOSS and innovation in general, contrary to the
impression it sometimes gives."

Recent:

Linux patent pool to push for 'defensive publication'

,----[ Quote ]
| In coming weeks, OIN will reveal more details of the site, which Bergelt
| described as "a production environment where we educate and train people to
| do this. We'll work with them to make sure it's put in a form that is
| acceptable."
|
| The effort will serve as a counterpart to OIN's existing strategy, under
| which it provides its patents royalty-free to companies in exchange for a
| commitment that they won't assert their patents against the Linux system. Its
| backers include NEC, IBM, Novell, Philips, Red Hat, and Sony. Google, Oracle
| and Alfresco are among the licensees.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/080808-linux-patent-pool-to-push.html

Join LiMo, avoid a patent pantsing from the big lads

,----[ Quote ]
| For all its talk of openness, just a quarter of the code in the LiMo
| Foundation's mobile platform is open source, making it a minefield to
| navigate in terms of protected patents - 300,000 patents to be precise.
|
| [...]
|
| Gillis said LiMo is on track to release the second version of its platform by
| the end of the year, with the software development kits (SDKs) for Native,
| Webkit and Java coming in the fourth quarter. A compliance program is planned
| for SDKs to ensure that applications written using the toolkits can be ported
| across different handsets, although there's no date for this yet.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/08/limo_opensource_patents/

Getting Inventive With Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to talk to OIN's CEO, Jerry
| Rosenthal, who was with IBM for 37 years before setting up OIN. His comments
| about patent trolls – companies whose business is based purely around suing
| others for alleged patent infringement, rather than on making and selling
| things – and how to deal with them, are particularly interesting in the light
| of what has happened since the interview took place.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1001964

Related:

The relentless underhanded assault against Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Luckily, we have a heavy hitter on our side, as well. A coalition of
| companies, led by IBM, NEC, Novell, Philips, Red Hat and Sony, have created
| the Open Invention Network in order to provide Linux companies legal
| protection against these types of lawsuits.
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/node/18

Alfresco Becomes Open Invention Network Licensee

,----[ Quote ]
| Alfresco Software has become an Open Invention Network licensee. Alfresco is
| one of the first Open Invention Network startup licensees, joining a growing
| number of leading information technology firms that are dedicated to
| maintaining the health, vitality and collaborative power of Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/application/10975/alfresco-becomes-open-invention-network-licensee

Microsoft Gives OIN the Cold Shoulder

,----[ Quote ]
| “We are always evaluating licensing opportunities but don’t have
| anything specific to say about OIN. However, we remain committed to
| building bridges within the industry,” he said.
|
| That response is a little more vague than that from a Microsoft
| spokesperson who told eWEEK previously that “while Microsoft
| actively participates in a wide variety of industry organizations,
| the company has no plans to join the OIN at this stage.”

Microsoft spreads Linux patents FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| Could it have something to do with taking a big stick and little
| carrot approach to lucrative commercial deals, such as we have seen
| recently with the Novell 'we won't sue you if you jump into bed with
| us' pact? Or perhaps it is more a case of running scared from the
| big stick that the Open Invention Network (OIN), with members such
| as IBM, Philips and Sony at the helm, has been carving which might
| just be long enough to poke Microsoft in the eye and heavy enough
| to do some serious damage in the patent litigation department?

Awards and Moglen mark Red Hat Summit finale

,----[ Quote ]
| We discussed his personal history with Brad Smith, Microsoft's
| general counsel; the battle with Microsoft over its patent agreement
| with Novell, and what he would like for his students, programmers,
| and even reporters on the fringes of media corporations to learn
| about how to change the world.

US company in talks with IT firms to push Linux system

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/businessline/blnus/15201606.htm