[News] EPO Action on Software Patents Called a Farce

EPO Board to establish software patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, the questions seem like a school book example of avoiding
| clarifications by asking the wrong questions. Are the EPO just cowards,
| creating straw men or obstructing the clarity of law?
`----

http://bosson.blogspot.com/2008/10/epo-board-to-establish-software-patents.html

Ms Brimelow did it!

http://www.ipjur.com/blog2/index.php?/archives/6-Ms-Brimelow-did-it!.html

Patentability of programs for computers

http://www.epo.org/topics/news/2008/20081024.html

EPO Enlarged Board Referral on Software Patents

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2008/10/epo-enlarged-board-referral-on-software.html

| Staff at the European Patent Office went on strike accusing the organization
| of corruption: specifically, stretching the standards for patents in order to
| make more money.
|
| One of the ways that the EPO has done this is by issuing software patents in
| defiance of the treaty that set it up.
`----

http://www.stallman.org/archives/2008-jul-oct.html#24%20September%202008%20%28Patent%20Office%20on%20Strike%29

European Patent Agents Go On Strike To Complain About Pressure To Approve Bad
Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the causes of so many bad patents getting approved lately is screwed
| up incentives in the patent system. For a while, the US had a de facto system
| where agents were pushed to approve a patent when in doubt. That's because
| they were judged on how many patents they went through -- and if they
| rejected a patent, the applicant could complain and ask for a review --
| meaning that the examiner would have to spend more time reviewing that same
| patent again, decreasing the number of patents they had gotten through,
| potentially harming their "stats." Thus, it's often easier to just "approve."
| And, of course, the Patent Office itself is usually fine with this, because
| that means more patent applications and more fees.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080923/1804402351.shtml

Where is the evidence to support EPO examiner union's claims?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=f440a64b-b45f-4af8-b02f-431db4f17c90