[News] Finnish Free/Open Source Conference, Buy4Commons Introduced

Open Source Conference: notes from OpenMind

,----[ Quote ]
| The 5th Openmind conference organized by COSS -  the Finnish Centre for Open
| Source Solutions - provided some interesting discussions about how companies,
| governments and individuals across Northern-Europe are using open source.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/10/23/open-source-conference-notes-from-openmind/

Deploying CC+ for the common good: Buy4Commons

,----[ Quote ]
| I think this would be a fantastic service for the commons, and I hope someone
| steps up to provide it. It’s obviously a viable business plan, even if only
| private licenses are sold, but the Buy4Commons option would make the project
| into more than that: a true public service.
|
| The time to step up is now, when the CC+ initiative itself is just catching
| on, and before any preconceptions about the service have been formed in the
| minds of artists or content hosting services.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/deploying_cc_common_good_buy4commons

Recent:

Amazing figures on the open source adoption in Finland

,----[ Quote ]
| In particular, they found that 75% of responding firms use open source
| software in some way. This figure is up from approximately 13% in the year
| 2000, which is a major increase in just a few years
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/?q=content/amazing-figures-open-source-adoption-finland

Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 90

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Finland receives award from Finland's Minister of Communications
|
| Ubuntu Finland[1] was awarded Finnish Linux User Group's 2008 award at the HP
| Linux Forum[2], in Helsinki, on 8th of May. The award was received by the
| team contact of Ubuntu Finland, Timo Jyrinki, and was given by the Finland's
| Minister of Communications, Suvi Lindén[3]. The award also included 2000€ in
| cash for Ubuntu Finland's usage.
`----

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue90

Related:

Finland's 'Open Source' Electric Car Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| When I think of faraway Finland, I think of long, dark winters, saunas,
| reindeer and Nokia cellular telephones. I don't think of electric cars...
| until now.
`----

http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1419

[Fraud watch?] Prime Minister's former aide arranged Microsoft donation to
Finnish schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Mikko Alkio, the new State Secretary at the Ministry of Employment and the
| Economy, who had previously served as aide to Prime Minister  Matti Vanhanen
| (Centre), was a key instigator of a donation from Microsoft of computer
| software to Finnish schools.
|      Alkio was still working as manager for information society relations at
|      Microsoft a couple of weeks ago when Prime Minister Vanhanen visited the
|      United States.
|      During his US visit, Vanhanen met with Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates,
|      who promised Finnish schools a free package of the Windows Live@edu
|      service platform.
`----

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Prime+Ministers+former+aide+arranged+Microsoft+donation+to+Finnish+schools/1135233671462

'We're Huge in Finland!' Firefox Hits New High as IE7 Lags

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Firefox continued its slow but steady march against the worldwide
| dominance of Microsoft Internet Explorer in 2007. Though the open-source web
| browser continues to sit firmly in second place behind IE, where it's been
| for years, usage of Firefox is still on the rise. The browser is even
| threatening to tip the scales in some European countries -- most likely
| thanks to the rapid internationalization efforts made possible by the
| open-source development model.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/01/firefox-made-wo.html

A Virtual Open Source Center to Nordic Countries

,----[ Quote ]
| The initiative was confirmed during the Norwegian IT-minister Heidi
| Grande Roys' visit in Finland. The leader of COSS, Petri Rasanen,
| stated that the steady operation of COSS is a good base to build
| the international collaboration on, and for example the web site
| of the new center will be based on the COSS portal.
`----

http://www.swbusiness.fi/portal/news/news_from_software_business_cluster/other_news/?id=18528

Linux-based wireless handheld platform debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Finland-based Navicron has introduced Linux-based hardware and software
| reference designs for smart wireless devices. Navicron's FusionSoftware stack
| and Freescale-MX31-based FusionPlatform reference hardware are said to be
| designed for smartphones, Internet tablets, automotive computers, and
| machine-to-machine (M2M) equipment.

Ubuntu Finland delivered Ubuntu to Finnish parliament representatives

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Finland has sent Ubuntu CDs and information about Ubuntu, Linux and
| free (as in freedom) software to each parliament representative of Finland in
| the beginning of September.
`----

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Wiki/Press_release-Ubuntu_CDs_for_Finnish_parliament_representatives

Ministry of Justice of Finland chooses OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Ministry of Justice of Finland has made the decision to adopt the Open
| Source OpenOffice.org suite as its office software from beginning of 2007.
| Ministry of Justice and its branch of administration will also adopt
| OpenDocument Format standard as the file format for its documents.
`----

http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=24732

2007:2 Migrating a Ministry to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| After the migration, OpenOffice.org will be the primary office
| suite for 8500 persons and Microsoft Office for 1500 persons.
`----

http://www.om.fi/Etusivu/Julkaisut/Julkaisusarjat/Toimintajahallinto/Toiminnanjahallinnonarkisto/Toimintajahallinto2007/1171362109118
http://tinyurl.com/2g6sjy

Governmental programme boosts open source business in Finland

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=212