Re: Now all this is not helpful to Linux advocacy (long)

Verily I say unto thee, that Tony(UK) spake thusly:

> The bit about the Linux community never being a 'happy family' is
> because of what exactly?

You should read the LKML some time to get a taste of some real flame
wars. Historically, do some research on Vi vs Emacs issue, or KDE vs Gnome.

These days the biggest divide seems to be between those who'd rather
compromise their freedom, than lose certain short-term conveniences,
and those who still remember the goals of Free Software.

You seem outraged by this in-fighting, but quite oblivious to crimes
committed by Microsoft, which is what actually started this fighting
in the first place WRT the Novell and "Intellectual Property" issues
at least.

Please tell me you understand the severity of the problem a criminal
organisation like Microsoft poses to the software industry, and Free
Software in particular. Surely you can understand my outrage against
their bribery; smear campaigns and FUD.  They (and their partners in
crime Intel) even sabotaged a *charity*, for Christ's sake - how can
you possibly not be outraged against that but be more outraged about
those who speak out against these gangsters and their supporters?

I appreciate that you're just a guy trying to enjoy life and use the
best tools for the job, and you probably don't give a damn about the
politics.

I do.

Please don't deny me that privilege.

Your disinterest in Microsoft's crimes won't stop those crimes, and
maybe my cries of outrage won't either, but doing something has got
to be better than doing nothing, right?

What else am I supposed to do, STFU and be happy that my Freedom is
being compromised by a bunch of gangsters and FOSS turncoats?

I don't think so.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 23:49:12 up 16 days,  9:45,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00