Re: Linux can use 8GB RAM, what's the problem with Vista ?

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:47:02 +1100
"TomTom" <tt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:
> > I've just read that Vista32 can only use 3GB of RAM and Vista64 is
> > limited to 4GB of RAM, what's up with that ?
>
> What does Linux actually do with that 8GB of ram?

I have 8 GB of RAM in my system.  I frequently use it to run virtual
machines and the like.  I have yet to use *all* of it, but that's kind
of what I'd intended when I bought it, was not to use it all just yet.

Most of the time, I use anywhere between 1.5 - 6 GB of it, depending on
how many VMs I am tinkering with at the time and whatever else I am
doing.  I also do a good deal of compiling code, so the RAM and the 4
cores that I have work pretty well for me.  This system can build a
pretty good, mostly-generic kernel in about 17 minutes using most of
the processing power it has.  Still tweaking the -jX parameter though
to see if I can make that better still, though.  :-)

The biggest thing I have seen eat up my memory like nothing else, I
must say, is Java.  Unfortunately, *that* is 32-bit software, so it
still has its limit.  But at least I don't hit swap for anything, and
that was my primary goal---well, that, and having a system that I
wouldn't have to replace for 5-10 years.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
http://www.trausch.us/