[News] [Rival] Windows Emergency as Many Machines Compromised Without Intervention

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Emergency as Many Machines Compromised Without Intervention
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:22:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft RPC exploit could be a packaged deal

,----[ Quote ]
| While Microsoft has labeled Thursday's emergency patch MS08-067 as "critical"
| and provided a rare out-of-cycle fix because its exploit could easily be used
| as worm on a compromised network, one security researcher doesn't think it
| will happen that way.
|
| "It's likely we're going to see this packaged with some other attack." said
| Ben Greenbaum, senior research manager at Symantec. "A Web-based attack, for
| example. We're looking out for are exploits of this being bundled with
| client-side exploits or Trojans so that the worm can get past corporate
| firewalls and get behind that firewall into the internal network."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10074269-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

It's already under attack.

Earlier:

Trojan attacks Microsoft's emergency patch vuln

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/24/trojan_exploits_wormable_microsoft_flaw/