Re: [News][Rival] China hacked off at Microsoft anti-piracy drive

Robin T Cox wrote:
Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

But yet, even in countries where people are poor, they still
pirate Windows rather than use Linux.

Only according to Microsoft, who apparently also allege that
everyone else has been stealing their patents, but refuse to
say which.

Obviously the Singapore Government wasn't very impressed with
Microsoft in 2004, when told this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/18/ballmer_linux_lawsuits/

[quote]
Use Linux and you will be sued, Ballmer tells governments
Lawsuit doom over 228 'stolen' patents predicted

By John Lettice → More by this author
Published Thursday 18th November 2004 10:34 GMT

Asian governments using Linux will be sued for IP violations,
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said today in Singapore. He did not
specify that Microsoft would be the company doing the suing, but
it's difficult to read the claim as anything other than a
declaration of IP war.

According to a Reuters report (which we fervently hope will
produce one of Ballmer's fascinating 'I was misquoted'
rebuttals*), Ballmer told Microsoft's Asian Government Leaders
Forum that Linux violates more than 228 patents. Come on Steve,
don't hold back - what you mean 'more than 228' - 229? 230? Don't
pull your punches to soften the blow to the community. "Some
day," he continued, "for all countries that are entering the WTO
[World Trade Organization], somebody will come and look for money
owing to the rights for that intellectual property."
[/quote]

Mary Jo Foley also had mentioned the same:

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/
is_microsoft_rattling_the_linuxpatent_sabers.html?kc=
MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

or http://tinyurl.com/38mke3

Simply parroting the Microsoft propaganda on piracy and
patents is doing Linux good, and helping to destroy Microsoft.
So please keep doing it, whilst agreeing with me that:

Linux is free, and

People can use Linux if they want, without being accused of
piracy.

Linux is gaining in popularity:

http://www.tigerdirect.com

Type "Linux" and click [SEARCH] :

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=linux&searchbtn.x=0&searchbtn.y=0

or http://tinyurl.com/59bhay

[quote]
1.  Acer Aspire One AOA110-1295 Netbook - Intel Atom™ Processor
N270 1.60GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 512MB DDR2, 8GB SSD, 8.9"
WSVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linpus Linux Lite
Empower yourself with the incredibly light yet remarkably
productive Acer Aspire One – the new thin & light notebook that
weighs only 2.19 pounds.

Related Products in Category: New
Manufacturer: Acer
$389.99

2.  Acer Aspire One AOA110-1295 Refurbished Netbook - Intel Atom™
Processor N270 1.60GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 512MB DDR2, 8GB SSD,
8.9" WSVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linpus Linux Lite, Open Box
Empower yourself with the incredibly light yet remarkably
productive Acer Aspire One – the thin & light notebook that
weighs only 2.19 pounds.

Related Products in Category: Refurbished
Manufacturer: Acer
$339.97

3.  Asus Eee PC 900 - Intel Mobile CPU, 802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB
DDR2, 16GB SSD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linux (Pearl White)
You demanded it. We have it! The new 8.9-inch, 2.18-pound Asus
Eee PC 900. It’s easy to learn, work and play when you own an
Asus Eee PC 900.

Related Products in Category: Netbook
Manufacturer: Asus
$349.96

4.  Asus Eee PC 900 - Intel Mobile CPU, 802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB
DDR2, 20GB SSD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linux (Galaxy Black)
You demanded it. We have it! The new 8.9-inch, 2.18-pound Asus
Eee PC 900. It’s easy to learn, work and play when you own an
Asus Eee PC 900.

Related Products in Category: New
Manufacturer: Asus
$369.99*

5.  Acer Aspire One AOA110-1626 Netbook - Intel Atom™ Processor
N270 1.60GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 16GB SSD, 8.9" WSVGA,
Integrated Webcam, Linpus Linux Lite (Onyx Black)
Empower yourself with the incredibly light yet remarkably
productive Acer Aspire One – the new thin & light netbook that
weighs only 2.19 pounds.

Related Products in Category: New
Manufacturer: Acer
$369.99

6.  Acer Aspire One AOA110-1295 Netbook - Intel Atom™ Processor
N270 1.60GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 512MB DDR2, 8GB SSD, 8.9"
WSVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linpus Linux Lite
Empower yourself with the incredibly light yet remarkably
productive Acer Aspire One – the new thin & light netbook that
weighs only 2.19 pounds.

Related Products in Category: New
Manufacturer: Acer
$379.99

7.  HP 2133 Mini-Note PC - VIA C7-M Processor 1.0GHz, 802.11b/g
Wireless, 512MB DDR2, 4GB Flash, 8.9" WXGA, Webcam, SUSE Linux
Enterprise Desktop 10
The HP 2133 Mini-Note PC comes equipped with the productivity
tools you need to conduct business efficiently on the go.

Related Products in Category: New
Manufacturer: HP
$499.96

8.  Asus Eee PC 900 - Intel Mobile CPU, 802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB
DDR2, 20GB SSD, 8.9" WSVGA, Integrated Webcam, Linux (Pearl White)
You demanded it. We have it! The new 8.9-inch, 2.18-pound Asus
Eee PC 900. It’s easy to learn, work and play when you own an
Asus Eee PC 900.

Related Products in Category: New
Manufacturer: Asus
$499.99*

9.  Asus Eee PC 1000 - Intel Mobile Atom Processor, Bluetooth,
802.11b/g/n Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 40GB SSD, 10" WSVGA, Webcam,
Linux (Fine Ebony)
While plenty of PCs promise a revolutionary impact, few deliver
the goods. That’s not the case with our new Asus Eee PC 1000.

Related Products in Category: New
Manufacturer: Asus
$599.99

10.  Asus Eee PC 1000 - Intel Atom Processor, Bluetooth,
802.11b/g/n Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 40GB SSD, 10" WSVGA, Webcam,
Linux (Pearl White)
While plenty of PCs promise a revolutionary impact, few deliver
the goods. That’s not the case with our new Asus Eee PC 1000.

Related Products in Category: New
Manufacturer: Asus

[1] 2 3 4 5 .... 11  NEXT>  LAST>>
[/quote]

Linux is gaining acceptance in North America, which traditionally has been dominantly Microsoft's turf.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati