[News] Italian Linux Association Laughs at Recession, Others Spread Misinformation

  • Subject: [News] Italian Linux Association Laughs at Recession, Others Spread Misinformation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:59:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open source looks to catch the falling knife

,----[ Quote ]
| Over in Europe, the Italian Linux Association  and local Open Office group
| are taking a more humorous approach, searching to “Microsoft Office
| dinosaurs.”
|
| Roberto Galoppini focused on this program in his latest blog post, then
| called in to say that, no matter what, the knife is going to fall.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3022

Some open source FUD is too lame to deserve a response

,----[ Quote ]
| It's unclear when Facebook and Twitter came to be even remotely connected
| with open source, but here's a clue, Keen: open source doesn't depend on
| peace-loving hippie radicals with either free time or free cash to burn. Open
| source is a free market, capitalist phenomenon that depends upon M-O-N-E-Y.
| It has been for at least a decade, and the economic downturn only sharpens
| its value to money-grubbing capitalists.
|
| Will an economic downturn slow open-source development? No, because open
| source is an effective way to undermine competitors (give away what your
| competitor values, and charge for your own differentiation), serve customers
| (lower prices, better software), and get software into prospective customers'
| hands cheaply and widely.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10074529-16.html

"There is such an overvaluation of technology stocks that it is absurd. I would
include our stock in that category. It is bad for the long-term worth of the
economy."
                                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO

Recent:

Microsoft, Cisco to lose $4.3 Billion as investment banks cut cost

,----[ Quote ]
| The cut in the IT budgets of the revered investment banks like Lehman
| Brothers and Merrill Lynch due to their failure may lead industry giants like
| U.S. based Microsoft and California based Cisco to lose $4.3 billion in
| orders next year. While Cisco earns about three percent to four percent of
| annual revenue from the U.S. financial industry, Microsoft accounted for 22
| percent last year.
`----

http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/47182

Microsoft will be hurt by financial crisis, RBC analyst says

,----[ Quote ]
| The devastating U.S. financial crisis will hurt software giant Microsoft
| Corp.'s bottom line this holiday season as shoppers tighten their purse
| strings, RBC Capital Markets says.
`----

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/tradingdesk/archive/2008/09/29/microsoft-will-be-hurt-by-financial-crisis-rbc-analyst-says.aspx

Ballmer says Microsoft not immune from global crisis

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080930/bs_nm/us_microsoft_ballmer;_ylt=Au5VO.rh_OuPGHCBr9O.m4K573QA

Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars

http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

Microsoft's Market Cap Falls $24B in 17 Days

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is on the list. Today, the stock closed at $25.01 a share, down
| $2.39, or 8.72 percent.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/corporate/microsofts_market_cap_falls_24b_in_two_weeks.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Ex-Microsoft boss sentenced

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/371393_msftcourt19.html

Former Microsoft Manager Gets 2 Years In Jail

http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_former-microsoft-manager-gets-2-years-in-jail_1427.html