[News] Reviews of Slax Linux and Foresight Linux

Review: Slax 6.0.7

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, I’m very impressed with how fast it runs if you have the necessary
| RAM. The program selection is decent - could be a little better.
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2008/10/22/review-slax-607/

Foresight 2.0.5 review - First Impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| Foresight 2.0.5 is a really nice looking system with a nice default set of
| packages.
| Unfortunately it seems a bit incomplete and would need more testing before
| it´s released.
|
| For some reason the shutdown option on the menu disappeared and I had to do a
| shutdown from the terminal.
|
| For the time being this distribution will not have a place in my heart or my
| computer hard drive.
| Too bad since it´s nice looking.
`----

http://www.distrohopper.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:foresight-205-review-first-impressions&catid=39:foresight&Itemid=54

Recent:

Foresight Linux Kids Edition 1.0 ScreenShots

,----[ Quote ]
| I finally found a good Linux Distribution for kids. My daughter who is
| turning 5 soon completely loved the learning games on Foresight, especially
| TuxTyping. I highly recommend this OS for us Linux Geeks that have kids. It
| has a nice set of learning games, fun to play games, OpenOffice, and more. I
| just feel it is lacking a good proxy wizard so that kids are not allowed to
| hit certain sites. I feel any distro targeted at kids and learning should
| have a great proxy wizard. Well I hope you enjoy the screenshots below.
`----

http://www.linuxdynasty.org/foresight-linux-kids-edition-10-screenshots.html

Download Foresight Mobile Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Foresight Mobile Edition is a Linux distribution for your netbook or ultra
| portable PC that features a rolling release schedule that always keeps your
| desktop up to date; a revolutionary package manager, Conary; a customized
| GNOME
`----

http://www.foresightlinux.org/mobile.html

Foresight Linux Goes Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Foresight Linux's development team just rolled out a mobile version of their
| distribution. This new release is no lightweight at 530MB, but it does offer
| a whole range of functionality and pre-installed software along with a Gnome
| desktop that was specially created for smaller displays
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2008/09/foresight_linux_goes_mobile.html

Foresight Kid's can inspire young minds

,----[ Quote ]
| My 4-year-old granddaughter test drove Foresight Kid's Edition and had a
| wonderful time. Her previous computer experience didn't include menu
| operation as far as I knew, but she had observed its use. Up until this point
| she had been accustomed to finding the icons for Tuxpaint and Frozen Bubble
| on the desktop. Possibly due to the contrast, she was first drawn to the
| Trash icon, but it didn't take long before she was clicking the menu start
| button. When the menu unfolded, she moved the cursor to the snaky Nibbles
| icon and clicked.
|
| [...]
|
| Foresight Kid's Edition is a useful system for children of all ages. From an
| educational tool to an everyday desktop, Foresight Kid's seems to be quite
| flexible despite its emphasis on young ones. It would be particularly handy
| for setting up a system for children using an older computer you were
| thinking of throwing out, or a replacement for other systems that are prone
| to dangerous malware.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148942

Foresight Kid's Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Foresight Kid's Edition is a Linux distribution for children that features a
| number of education and entertainment applications, as well as the benefits
| of the Foresight GNOME Edition: a rolling release schedule that always keeps
| your desktop up to date; a revolutionary package manager, Conary; a
| customized GNOME desktop environment and an innovative set of excellent, up
| to date software applications.
`----

http://www.foresightlinux.org/kids.html

Related:

SLAX on USB Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| To claim that the technology pushes ahead in such a speed that the article
| will be rendered obsolete very soon is like preaching platitudes. I’d like to
| end the article then with a few words of timeless meanings.
|
| Firstly, every program is aimed and is designed to run in a well defined
| environment. Changing distribution media for GNU/Linux systems will not lead
| to new functionality. It may create circumstances to run faster (or slower),
| but SquashFS as a read-only system will remain as such, regardless of the
| media. Changing` hardware is not enough. Just as the application coded for
| uniprocessor machines will not run faster on computers with 100 cores. Even
| so, it’s not the cores that matter.
|
| Secondly, the best answers to some problems are standard solutions. I asked
| 17 friends of mine to check if their machines were able to start system from
| USB. Needless to say, without BIOS update. All in all only 17 out of 25
| computers passed the test.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/slax/slax-on-usb-drive/

SLAX 6.0: How does it work?

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that I do change distros very often and were it not for the
| frequent manual changes of the config files, the never ending checking
| whether the versions of the system’s parts are correct… Well, for a server,
| which it suffices to configure only once and for all, it’s an excellently
| tailored distro. Or if one would like to select reasonable software, have it
| installed, then configure it carefully, and finally burned it as a LiveCD…
| Yes… and have the logo of a green clover added just for luck… Wow, that’d be
| something!
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/slax/slax-60-how-does-it-work/

SLAX, the Shrunken Slackware

,----[ Quote ]
| All things considered, SLAX is without doubt, a distro to beat in terms of
| speed, functionality, and stability. It is filled with handy applications
| ideal for productive use. SLAX LiveCD can also be reliably utilized to rescue
| a broken system and it can be fully customized if you want to create your own
| CD or even a SLAX based distribution. Certainly, SLAX fits this tongue
| twisting description: "SLAX is a shrunken Slackware."
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2007/11/slax-shrunken-slackware.html

How to create a GNU/Linux live USB stick with SLAX

,----[ Quote ]
| SLAX is a great operating system. And we haven’t even scratched the surface
| of what it can do. You can create your own SLAX, build your own modules, and
| even install SLAX to a hard drive. And best of all, you now have a GNU/Linux
| system to show off to your friends.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/live_usb_stick_with_slax

Slax: The Do-It-Yourselfer's Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One can change Knoppix or Kubuntu, again with non-trivial effort, but why
| bother? Why not consider a Linux distro, which starts out lean-and-mean and
| can be easily changed and adapted to suit your specific needs and tastes? I'm
| referring to a Linux distro that's downright friendly to Windows, making it
| easy for Linux newbies to gradually learn about Linux without abandoning [the
| ever-comfortable] Windows. I'm talking about Slax.
`----

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2179133,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

Slax 5.1.8.1 KillBill Edition -- first impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| I've already burned CDs of the plain Slax and the smaller Popcorn
| edition, meant to install on 128 MB flash media. I'll try these in
| the Dell, and hopefully soon in the Thin Puppy (the Maxspeed Maxterm
| thin client I'm using to write this post). If it works, will I have
| to rename that machine Thin Slax? Yes, I will.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/04/slax_5181_killbill_edition_fir.html

About MySLAX Creator

,----[ Quote ]