[News] Loads of Dell Systems to Boot GNU/Linux

Instant-on Dell Desktop to Debut Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| Consumers will get their first look at Dell's new instant-on system for
| Optiplex desktops next week, a company executive said Wednesday in Shanghai.
|
| [...]
|
| Clarke previously disclosed some details of the system in August, saying it
| will run on a Linux OS and a separate, secondary chip, in order to extend
| battery life.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/152606/instanton_dell_desktop_to_debut_next_week.html

Recent:

Dell Launches Consumer Advertising for Ubuntu Linux PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s one small step for Dell and consumer Linux — and one giant leap for
| Canonical’s Ubuntu Linux efforts. Specifically, Dell is spending advertising
| dollars to promote PCs with Ubuntu Linux preinstalled. The move has
| significant implications for the business world as well. Here’s why.
|
| First, some details about the advertisement. Many many U.S. newspapers on
| Sunday, October 12, included a multi-page Dell flier. Among the many products
| advertised was the Dell Inspiron Mini 9, a low-cost sub-notebook designed for
| email and Web browsing.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/13/dell-launches-consumer-advertising-for-ubuntu-linux-pcs/

Inside Dell's 'BlackTop' laptop Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell’s new laptops sideline Windows with a fast-boot Linux OS and ARM
| processor to check email, browse the Web and even sync with Exchange.
`----

http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2804

The Next Linux You Use Could Be Virtual

,----[ Quote ]
| Major players in the laptop computer market go virtual with Linux. HP,
| Lenovo, and now Dell offer laptops that have a Linux Mode.

Sun xVM VirtualBox is now available

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems Inc., has announced new multi-year original equipment
| manufacturer (OEM) agreements with Avanquest Software, Q-layer and Zenith
| InfoTech Ltd. to expand the global reach of Sun xVM VirtualBox.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Sun-xVM-VirtualBox-is-now-available/13808109003/0/

Dell introduces ten new laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| On is a flash-based barebones Linux install that gets you up and running, on
| the Net, and with much of what you need to run the computer in instantly.
| Dell went to great pains to avoid saying the L-word though, it might anger
| the very touchy gods atop mount Redmond.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/13/dell-introduces-laptops

Are “instant on” notebooks the future?

,----[ Quote ]
| If I think about my normal notebook usage patterns, I’m pretty sure I could
| spend a good 80 - 90% of my time in the instant on environment and only boot
| into Windows when I needed to do something specifically Windows-centric. In
| fact, given a properly set up Linux distro as the main OS (which should be a
| snap to set up since these systems would/should already be Linux-compatible
| because they are running the Linux-based instant on OS ) which would allow me
| to handle Microsoft Office docs, and a VPN, I could do away with having
| Windows on the system altogether and simply connect to a secondary
| Windows-based PC when I wanted that functionality (when on the road I rarely,
| if ever, need to run anything heavy such as Photoshop).
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2400

Dell’s comeback machine

,----[ Quote ]