[News] Review of GNU Image Manipulation Program 2.6

GIMP 2.6 changes are mostly internal

,----[ Quote ]
| The GIMP -- the GNU Image Manipulation Program -- is one of the flagships of
| free software. On October 1 the project released version 2.6, with many new
| and improved features. Most of the user-visible features are just polish; the
| real changes are lurking under the hood.
|
| [...]
|
| The user interface changes in GIMP 2.6 are experimental and probably intended
| to evoke community feedback. This is an interim stable release in
| the "release early, release often" tradition. It admittedly took a year from
| the release of 2.4, but given that GIMP users need rock-solid stable releases
| this isn't much time. GIMP 2.6 doesn't offer much in the way of
| ground-breaking new features or visible improvements -- the visible changes
| are little tidbits and goodies. GEGL, the major big change, is under the
| hood.
|
| Still it's a step towards a GIMP that offers everything users want and need.
| GIMP 2.8 will probably offer on-canvas text editing and a saner approach to a
| new user interface.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/150445

Recent:

GIMP 2.6.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.6.1 is a bug-fix release in the stable GIMP 2.6 series.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/31168

The trouble with road tests

,----[ Quote ]
| However, if you want a no-nonsense free alternative to Photoshop, then
| consider the Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program). This open source software
| is available for Linux, Windows and Mac, and the latest version is 2.6
| (www.gimp.org/downloads).
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-life/how-tos/the-trouble-with-road-tests/2008/10/15/1223750043551.html

GIMP 2.6 Released, Offers Major Changes to Interface

,----[ Quote ]
| User interface improvements include the removal of the toolbox menu bar and
| merging with the image window menu bar, a change that converts the toolbox
| and docks into utility windows, and the ability to pan beyond the image
| border.
`----

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/10/01.8.shtml

New GIMP 2.6 Gives Photoshop a Run for Its Money

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.6 doesn’t move to a single unified window, as Photoshop has done, but
| it does now feature an “empty image window’ which acts as a container for all
| your open images. That means that closing an image no longer closes the app
| and it also means there’s drag-and-drop support for opening images.
`----

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/New_GIMP_2DOT6_Gives_Photoshop_a_Run_for_Its_Money

5 GIMP Tricks Everyone Should Know!

,----[ Quote ]
| Having used both GIMP and Adobe Photoshop I must say I personally believe
| GIMP is much better for common folks like you and me who need a relatively
| simpler set of tools to make quick edits to our Vacation pictures. Photoshop
| is undoubtedly more useful graphic designers, however for making quick
| tweaks, nothing beats GIMP. Recently GIMP 2.6 was released, so I decided to
| make this tutorial for those who still haven't discovered the magic of GIMP
| and don't know how to use GIMP productively.
`----

http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/2008/10/5-gimp-tricks-everyone-should-know.html

GIMP User Filter allows use of Photoshop filters

,----[ Quote ]
| One brake on the GIMP's popularity is that, while it boasts dozens of
| filters, a rival like Photoshop boasts thousands. You may only occasionally
| need a special effect that imitates a pencil sketch or a famous style of
| painting such as Impressionism or Cubism, but, when you do, having a filter
| to create the effect instantly saves serious amount of time. To help bridge
| this divide, the GIMP is reviving the User Filter from its 1.x releases. This
| filter is a kind of meta-plugin that allows users to import and manage
| Photoship filters or, if they have the knowledge, to write their own.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147173

Related:

Gimp vs. Photoshop

,----[ Quote ]
| The truth is, they're both winners when they're used in the proper
| context. The Gimp just doesn't have support in the areas that are
| necessary to make it useful in a commercial application. However,
| you cannot justify the price of Photoshop for personal use when the
| Gimp will do everything it can do outside of commercial printing. I
| know I've beat the horse to death, but unless you want to pirate
| software, there is no reason to use Photoshop if you're not producing
| a print publication ? use the Gimp.
`----

http://grimthing.com/archives/2007/01/11/Gimp_vs_Photoshop/

GIMPshop - Linux Graphic Software

,----[ Quote ]
| While the functionalities of GIMP and Photoshop largely overlap,
| window layout, options, tools, and menus have evolved independently
| and are quite different. This causes frustration for people who
| want to switch from Photoshop to GIMP or vice versa.

`----

http://linux.about.com/od/softgraphics/gr/GIMPshop.htm

Best of GIMP brushes: 35+ brush sets (1400+ brushes)

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP is an open-source image editing program, one of the most popular
| image-editing programs. It is supported by a huge open-source community that
| is open in every aspect - development, source, sharing and participation.
|
| [...]
|
| And what better way for me to admire GIMP than by presenting a list of some
| amazing, beautiful and stunning brushes?
`----

http://www.techzilo.com/gimp-brushes/

Gimp Tutorial - Fast Flaming Text

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a few flame effect tutorials out there, but all the ones I've found
| are either badly outdated or too fiddly. This is how I set any object -
| including text - ablaze with the Gimp, in just six quick steps.
|
| Done with Gimp 2.2.13, which I'll keep using for tutorials until more Linux
| distros start including 2.4 by default. If you've soldiered on to 2.4, the
| menus will be all switched around, but the effects should all still be there
| somewhere. Click images to get full-size shot.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=gimp_tutorial_fast_flaming_text&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Top 40+ GIMP plugins

,----[ Quote ]