[News] Free Software/Linux Phones a Friendly Threat to ISV Status Quo

Mobile ISVs face open source pressure

,----[ Quote ]
| "ISVs need to be familiar with open source environments to be able to respond
| to demands to integrate customers' solutions into those environments," Leach
| explained.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0,39044192,62047484,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw

Recent:

The industrious revolutionary

,----[ Quote ]
| Android has been developed using open-source technology, which is freely
| available for anyone who wishes to use it or improve it. Google's next step
| is likely to be the gPhone, which could be a fierce rival for Apple's wildly
| hyped iPhone.
|
| According to this version of the future, Google and other open-source
| advocates will eventually crush proprietary companies like Apple and
| Microsoft unless they, too, see the light.
|
| "The only positive result of America invading Iraq was that it persuaded
| China to go open-source," Dryden enthuses. "Now China has slashed the price
| of laptop computers by 90 per cent by making them without an operating
| system, which you can download for free off the net."
`----

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10537980

T-Mobile Android Smart Phone a Solid Device

,----[ Quote ]
| The innovative T-Mobile G1, the first smart phone using the Google Android
| mobile operating system, is a worthy competitor to Apple and its iPhone. The
| T-Mobile G1 is a strong consumer offering, but enterprises should wait until
| more corporate features are included.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/TMobile-Android-Smart-Phone-a-Solid-Device/

Google updates Chrome so plugins will work better

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's Chrome browser is now better at handling plugins. That the big thing
| I take away from the the new Chrome 0.3.154.3 update release.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/10/google-updates-chrome-so-plugi.html

Android Gets a Hand

,----[ Quote ]
| As I wrote last week, Android's USP is openness. Although that means open to
| everyone, there is arguably an advantage to open source coding on the Android
| platform. For a start, the methodology that Android employs will be totally
| familiar, as will the idea of building on pre-existing code.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=1339

Funambol Synchronizes with Google Android

,----[ Quote ]
| U.S. firm Funambol announces an Android version of its Open Source mobile
| sync application for the new Google/T-Mobile G1 phone.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/funambol_synchronizes_with_google_android

Google's Android - The Promise

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux kernel underlying both of them is covered by the GNU GPL. Unlike
| Apple, Google will not attempt to control the application ecosystem on top of
| the platform either. This is true openness.
`----

http://www.khabrein.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17110&Itemid=62

Android vs. iPhone: No Contest for Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'm not a big fan of cell phones generally, but Android-style openness -- if
| it remains as open as people hope it to be -- may change my mind on that,"
| Lord said. "I certainly hope that it puts an end to the foolishness of people
| paying dollars for ringtones, or [getting] funneled into awkward and
| expensive picture-sending systems just to get photos off their phone.
| Shouldn't every phone already allow users to drag and drop files?"

Hockenberry: App Store Policies 'Killing Our Enthusiasm'

,----[ Quote ]
| Along with Steven Frank, Fraser Speirs, Wil Shipley, and Brent Simmons,
| Hockenberry is yet another well-known and respected Macintosh developer
| expressing serious concern over his future iPhone development work.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/20339/Hockenberry_App_Store_Policies_Killing_Our_Enthusiasm_

SDK shoot-out: Android vs. iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPhone and Android phones both ship with Web browsers based on the WebKit
| rendering engine. That means Web applications designed for one will render
| almost identically on the other, provided their developers adhere to
| published standards. Those same applications will also render on WebKit-based
| desktop browsers, such as Safari and Google Chrome, and on any other browsers
| that implement the standards correctly.
|
| Based on that, all this talk of SDKs seems almost foolish. The iPhone may
| have more market share than Android today, but the standards-based Web has
| far more market share than both combined. So you tell me: If you're a
| developer, where's the smart money? The iPhone App Store? The Android SDK? Or
| somewhere else?
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/fatalexception/archives/2008/09/sdk_shootout_an.html

The iPhone Is Now Doomed