[News] Two New Embedded Linux-supported Products

ADI Engineering Releases New Ready-To-Run Software and Turnkey Evaluation Kits
for Its WISP and OEM Wireless Products

,----[ Quote ]
| CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va., Oct 20, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- ADI Engineering, a
| leading supplier of high-performance wireless router boards and turnkey Wi-Fi
| equipment for Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs) and OEMs, today
| announced the availability of two new software releases that greatly enhance
| the ease of use and functionality of its products. ADI's Pronghorn SBC and
| Pronghorn Metro SBC lines of wireless router boards and turnkey wireless
| systems are now fully supported by both OpenWrt and a new free Linux Board
| Support Package (BSP) available directly from ADI.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/adi-engineering-releases-new-ready-to-run/story.aspx?guid=%7BDF6C4434-7FC2-43A2-9A46-EB27C6F26361%7D&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/5bo96u

VirtualLogix(TM) Virtualization Software is First to Deliver Real-Time
Virtualization(TM) on Symbian OS(TM)

,----[ Quote ]
| Reinforcing its leadership position in the Real-Time Virtualization(TM)
| market for mobile devices, VirtualLogix(TM), Inc. today announced that its
| virtualization software product, VirtualLogix VLX, is the first to support
| Symbian OS(TM), the market leading open operating system for advanced
| data-enabled mobile phones. VirtualLogix will demonstrate a prototype
| configuration of the Symbian OS running simultaneously with Linux on several
| mobile platforms at the Symbian Smartphone Show in London, on 21-22 October
| 2008.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/virtuallogixtm-virtualization-software-first-deliver/story.aspx?guid=%7BD4763BC3-73E2-407A-92AF-9E829D27B2C4%7D&dist=hppr

Related:

Embedded Linux has more friends than you may know

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony recently announced that one of its BRAVIA LCD TV factories will double
| production from 2 million TV sets per year to 4 million to meet growing
| demand in Europe. Sony has sold more than 20 million of these TVs, and
| they're all built with embedded Linux.
|
| So what? Embedded Linux is no surprise. Sony and tens of thousands of other
| companies, from huge to tiny, use embedded Linux every day to deliver
| successful products in every market. That is not news.
|
| Ten years ago, though, embedded Linux was a surprising-even shocking-idea to
| most people. Back in 1998, fresh from victory in the RTOS industry, I
| introduced the idea of building a software company to make Linux a suitable
| OS for developing smart devices. When I told people the idea, they gawked as
| if I was a few lines short of compilable code.
|
| "You want to build a company on software that's available for free?" I was
| asked. "Based on the gigantically bloated Unix OS? And with some oddball GPL
| license? How fast do you expect people to kick you out of their office?"
|
| Every market survey showed that the demand for embedded Linux was zero. When
| we released our first product, industry experts agreed that nobody needed it.
| Embedded Linux won't work because it is "too big, too slow, and not
| real-time," said the head of one RTOS company. The president of another
| derided embedded Linux as "a royal pain in the ass," so no developer would
| ever use it.
|
| I took heart from a quote attributed to Mohandas Gandhi: "First they ignore
| you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."
|
| [...]
|
| Analyst firms don't agree on how many device engineers use embedded Linux,
| but they all say the number is substantial: 21% of developers use embedded
| Linux, according to last year's Embedded Systems Design survey; 36.7%,
| according to current research by Embedded Market Forecasters. This April, VDC
| reported that Linux is now the leading embedded OS. It shouldn't be
| surprising. After all, commercial Linux vendors succeed because they
| understand what design engineers are looking for.
`----

http://www.embedded.com/columns/guest/207602734

Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space

,----[ Quote ]
| Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm

Who's afraid of embedded Linux? Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9919632-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad