[News] New Campaign for Universities to Embrace Free Software and Culture

Open University Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| An open university is one in which
|    1. The research the university produces is open access.
|    2. The course materials are open educational resources.
|    3. The university embraces free software and open standards.
|    4. If the university holds patents, it readily licenses them for free
|       software, essential medicines, and the public good.
|    5. The university network reflects the open nature of the internet.
| where "university" includes all parts of the community: students, faculty,
| administration.

IT: University starts Open Source master course

,----[ Quote ]
| The University of Perugia is offering a master course on Open
| Source. "Software developers and IT policy makers need to understand the
| importance and potential of this type of software and how to combine it with
| proprietary IT systems."
| The 'Master di I° Livello in Sistemi e Tecnologie Free Libre Open Source per
| la Società dell'Informazione e della Comunicazione' (First level master in
| Open Source systems and technology for the Information Society) was presented
| during a seminar on Open Source in the city of Orvieto, on 13 September.

KU Launches Linux Online Noncredit Certificate Program

,----[ Quote ]
| University of Kansas Continuing Education is launching an online noncredit
| certificate program for the popular Linux server platform.

UC Irvine Extension Hosts Online Course on Linux Software Programming

,----[ Quote ]
| “Linux Driver Primer” will explain how to develop and write code for Linux
| device drivers. Additionally, participants will gain knowledge of how to
| build and grow Linux device frameworks from scratch. This course offers
| foundational information about software programming and is a critical part of
| the new Device Software Engineering Program.

Universities Worldwide Offer Free Open Courseware

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 100 universities worldwide - including Johns Hopkins, Tufts and
| Notre Dame - have joined the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in a
| consortium of schools promoting open courseware.

Setting Learning Free

,----[ Quote ]