[News] Opportunists Try to Knock Freedom Out of Free Software

Free Ignorance

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, isn’t Open Source all about that corporate-friendly magical method for
| creating high quality software? Not about user freedoms or hating a
| particular corporate. You would think the FLOSS community members who feel
| strongly about something would actually know what it means, right? wrong.
|
| And guess what, there is a two years old interview with Stallman on YouTube
| in which he warns of such an occurrence
| (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBogiLGPMwA). This is what he says beginning
| on minute 08:45: “I ask you to please always call it Free Software because
| that way you will encourage other people to pay attention to the question of
| freedom. The term Open Source was formulated by people who did not want to
| talk about freedom and that is the stupidest thing any people can do. If
| people don’t talk about freedom it gets forgotten and then somebody says ‘if
| you will just accept these little restrictions, here is this convenient
| pleasure you can have’, essentially saying ‘we will sell you something in
| exchange for your freedom’. And if you have not been thinking about freedom
| and realizing what freedom means, you might accept that poisonous deal and
| then your freedom is gone.”
`----

http://winpdb.org/2008/10/free-ignorance/

"That would be because we believe in Free Software and doing the right thing (a
practice you appear to have given up on). Maybe it is time the term 'open
source' also did the decent thing and died out with you."

                                --Alan Cox to Eric Raymond

Recent:

Nothing New Under the Sun. Or Red Hat, or FSF, or OSI, or...

,----[ Quote ]
| All sides should realize that deep down, they all fear the same thing: loss
| of control. They need to remember that being free or being open isn't about
| control, it's about creating a great product and sharing it in some way with
| others. There are differences in the way to share, but the end users that
| work with the applications are still just looking for the great product.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-05-16-019-26-OP-BZ-CY

Can we rescue OLPC from Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Proprietary software keeps users divided and helpless. Its functioning is
| secret, so it is incompatible with the spirit of learning. Teaching children
| to use a proprietary (non-free) system such as Windows does not make the
| world a better place, because it puts them under the power of the system's
| developer -- perhaps permanently. You might as well introduce the children to
| an addictive drug. If the XO turns out to be a platform for spreading the use
| of proprietary software, its overall effect on the world will be negative.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/can-we-rescue-olpc-from-windows/blogentry_view

Related:

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC