Re: A good UI is a waste of time according to Roy.

On 2008-10-20, Hadron was urged to write the following:

> "no free software UI is broken, ever."

Make that

"no UI is broken, ever"

Some people like a particular UI, others don't. I'm one of those guys
who's very fond of the Gimp UI as it is. So is it broken? Well, not
for me at least. I also very much like the interface of command line
apps such as mutt and slrn. Yes, there was a learning curve involved,
but once I got the hang of it, those applications made my mail and news
reading life a whole lot more comfortable.

For me the problem with UIs is that there seems to be a craving for
one universal way to interact with applications, and that way is
pointing and clicking on boxes and menus, and thus having the smallest
possibe learning curve. I find that odd. When it comes down to using
computers, all of a sudden learning is bad, even if learning will get
you to a point where it will become easier/faster to perform certain
tasks...

--
In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!' And
there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole