A good UI is a waste of time according to Roy.

  • Subject: A good UI is a waste of time according to Roy.
  • From: Hadron <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 05:22:35 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Another goody came though the post. Check this out. No comments from me
required. And THIS is the guy who champions OSS and Linux? He's a know
nothing loony.

<twitter> They are stable enough but I miss a lot of features when I use them.  Multiple desktops, KDE network integration, etc.
<twitter> -h on the command line.
<schestowitz> What /is/ usable? To whom?
<schestowitz> "Usability" is marketing hype to some... like "innovation"
<twitter> Sure.  I liked that article you pointed to, no free software UI is broken, ever.
<schestowitz> Which article? URL?
<twitter> Can't put my finger on it, I just remember the contents and conclusion.  It was about a deep trolling method aimed at free software projects.
<twitter> Trolls come in and complain about the UI, usually to make it more like some commercial piece of crap.
<schestowitz> Oh, I know which article.
<twitter> This wastes a lot of developer time.  Simply considering the issue is a waste. ... I thought you would remember.
<twitter> :)
<schestowitz> 'Handbook' example... "it's not usable..."
<twitter> Finally, when they get their way, they turn around and laugh, "Ha, we screwed you.  You have confused your long time users, wasted your time and not gained any market share."
<twitter> They said GIMP had been screwed this way before.
<schestowitz> They could demand assimilation to other programs like Photoshop and then get users into a legal mess for copycatting.
<schestowitz> "Waaaa waaahhh! The UI is different. Make it like <app
name>... that's the 'correct' GUI"

Let's recap.

Ready?

OK ....

"no free software UI is broken, ever."

--
"Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
                                       chrisv, COLA.