[News] Bilski Case (Due This Month) Could Crush Software Patents

What the patents-obsessed say (IAM):

Waiting for Bilski; but will business method patents ever be the same anyway?

,----[ Quote ]
| And talking of business method patents, it struck me last night that one
| consequence of the current turmoil in the financial markets is that we will
| see far fewer of them in the future, whatever happens with Bilski. After all,
| financial institutions have been among the major players in the business
| method patent field as they seek to protect innovative investing strategies,
| risk models and the like. However, there are not as many of these
| institutions as there were a few months ago, while those that are left are
| much less likely to be looking for new and exciting ways to make money.
| Instead, they will be going back to basics. If this is the case, patenting is
| going to be the last thing on their minds.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=ca620c21-9a75-42de-a096-7ab3348df511

Patent trolls abound (Azure should be reported to the FTC):

Recent patent infringement cases filed in U.S. District Courts

,----[ Quote ]
| Azure Networks LLC vs. Nokia Inc.
|
| Plaintiff Azure is a Texas limited liability company with its principal place
| of business in Longview.
|
| Azure claims it owns the rights to U.S. Patent No. 6,981,158
| entitled "Methods and Apparatus for Tracing Packets" issued on Dec. 27, 2005.
|
| Also, Azure claims it is the owner by assignment of U.S. Patent No. 7,302,704
| entitled "Excising Compromised Routers From an Ad-Hoc Network" issued on Nov.
| 27, 2007.
`----

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/contentview.asp?c=215360

Azure Networks has no products. It's a troll firm.

Recent:

Stop European Software Patents (Again)

,----[ Quote ]
| It is now over three years since the European Parliament threw out a
| controversial bill that would have brought in software patents.
|
| It was a victory of sorts for those trying to preserve some sanity in the
| world of computing, but only a partial and temporary one. Those in favour of
| intellectual monopolies are hardly going to give up, and already have a
| number of irons in the fire that they will doubtless deploy in due course.
|
| In preparation for that day, people on the other side are beginning to
| mobilise their forces...
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&BlogId=14&EntryId=1179

Under the Radar: Two Tales From the Secret Life of Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| During the impassioned debate over a proposed European directive on software
| patents, opponents of software patents mounted a graphic demonstration of the
| problem, entitled the Patented European Webshop. The website showed that
| despite official proscription of patents on "computer programs as such" in
| Europe, patents were nonetheless granted for common website functions. This
| propaganda coup elicited anxiety among small businesses and played an
| important in defeating the directive, which would have legitimized those
| patents.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-kahin/under-the-radar-two-tales_b_115022.html

FSF: Urgent: Send comments to USPTO opposing software patents

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-69124/fsf:urgent:send-comments-to-uspto-opposing-software-patents