[News] Cisco Relies on GNU/Linux and Free Software to Compete Against It

How Cisco exploits open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco, facing growing pressure from open source Vyatta (turn your used
| servers into routers, free), is adding Linux to its routers and hoping
| partners can help it keep its margins high.
|
| A good example of how this works is the AXP Routers for Branch Offices the
| company announced in April.
|
| Sashi Kiran, whose title is senior manager – network systems, gave me an
| update on how this is going today.
|
| The AXP line offers Linux-based integration with a downloadable SDK,
| targeting an underserved niche.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3007

Recent:

Vyatta Aims Higher

,----[ Quote ]
| Belmont, Calif.-based open source router maker Vyatta has issued a flurry of
| press releases since the start of the year. The most significant news was the
| most recent: the release of its Community Edition 4.
`----

http://www.isp-planet.com/news/2008/vyatta_ce_4_data_center.html

Related:

Vyatta: A high-end Linux-based firewall and router

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's play a Linux word association game. Red Hat is to Microsoft as Vyatta
| is to Cisco.

Free x86 Linux router distro rev'd

,----[ Quote ]