Re: [News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

Hadron wrote:

Pretty poorly compared to an integrated consistent UI. You have
different dialogs for the same actions across applications. Different
hot keys. Etc. Sounds like a mess. You can deal with it - fine. But I
wonder if you ever really tried a properly designed and integrated UI?

Well, certainly not with Windows.  It's good some good points, but
consistency is only about 1/2-way there.

I've only tinkered briefly with a Mac, for like a minute.  Looked cool,
but I didn't like it a lot.  However, I'd need more time to try it.

I'm running XFce as an experiment right now.  It more easily gives
a cooler look than fluxbox, but I can't tinker with the gui in quite
the same way.  Can get pseudo transparency, can't easily change the
width of theme elements, can't toggle window decorations.

I'll keep XFce on one machine, and fluxbox on the other. Time for a little change.

As far as apps and dialogs go, I've always run a mixed bag of apps.
Most of them act the same.  The biggest gotcha for me has been which
use Ctrl-Q, and which use Ctrl-W.