[News] GNU/Linux in Pictures and Pictures in GNU/Linux

Upcoming Linux Distributions in Pictures

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux world's three most influential community distributions, Fedora,
| OpenSUSE and Ubuntu, are each undergoing beta testing toward a late fall
| release. eWEEK Labs takes a look at some of what's new in this Linux OS trio.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Upcoming-Linux-Distributions-in-Pictures/

Linux Digital Photography Studio

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is a sampling of my favorites:
|
|     * Digikam is an awesome all-in-one photo archiving and management,
|       editing, and printing application. It's not an advanced editor like
|       Gimp and Krita, but its feature set is comprehensive enough that you
|       won't need Gimp or Krita for every editing job. It includes dcraw for
|       high-quality RAW file manipulation, all kinds of handy batch processes,
|       tags for organizing vast quantities of photos, and a super-nice
|       composition and cropping editor.
|
|     * Even though Gimp still lags behind the resolution of modern digital
|       cameras and supports only 8-bit RGB, it's still more than good enough
|       for Web images and darned good printed photos. You'll have to compare
|       to very high-end color printing to see the differences that higher
|       resolution and more accurate color management make. It's just a matter
|       of time until Gimp delivers 24- and 32-bit depths and CMYK; the current
|       release incorporates the GEGL image-processing framework for the first
|       time, which supports these higher resolutions and more color spaces.
|       It's still buggy, but it's on its way.
|
|     * I gave Krita my vote as the real "Photoshop killer", and I still feel
|       that way. It supports more color spaces than any other Linux
|       application, and it was designed from the ground up to meet the needs
|       of professionals. Though now that Gimp is moving to GEGL, I can say
|       that Linux will someday have two "Photoshop killers". The biggest
|       difference will be the sheer numbers of plugins available for
|       Photoshop; everyone in the world writes Photoshop plugins.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2008101703035OPBZCY

Recent:

PCLinuxOS Digital Photography Edition

http://www.pbase.com/newmikey/pclinuxos_2008_digital_photography_edition

Ubuntu Photo Manager Experiment

,----[ Quote ]
| I am quite shocked by this, but the answers to all 3 of my initial questions
| is yes. There isn’t an all-in-one package that will do the trick, but by
| combining Ubuntu’s file manager Nautilus for project management, Raw Therapee
| for raw processing, and the Gimp for non-raw processing, just about
| everything I do in Aperture can be done on Ubuntu Linux using free and open
| source solutions.
`----

http://www.ubuntuproductivity.com/journal/ubuntu/07/2008/ubuntu-photo-manager-experiment/

The Ultimate Wallet-Sized Photograph

,----[ Quote ]
| EmTrace has created the Widget One, a wallet-sized device that will gladly
| show photos and do all sorts of Linux-powered goodness.
`----

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/336/C14155/

Linux, a photographer's dilemma. . .

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously, alot has changed since Mandrake version 8. Some time ago,
| I tried a live CD for Ubuntu version 5.10 - and was very impressed.
| As we speek, I'm downloading Ubuntu 6.10.
|
| Once again, I'm flirting with the opensource idea because upgrading
| to Window's VISTA simply isn't going to happen for me.
`----

http://www.pixelessence.net/linux.html

Photo KDE Tutorial 1-4: Brightness/Contrast/Gamma + Hue/Saturation/Lightness

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ugarro.com/blog/blog4.php/2008/09/06/photo-kde-tutorial-1-4-brightness-contra