[News] Review of the Everex Zonbu Linux Laptop, Dell Inspiron Mini with Linux

Everex Zonbu Notebook: Greener and safer option for new users

,----[ Quote ]
| Individuals, especially new users, preferring better security for their saved
| files always opt for Linux as their operating system. The security system of
| Linux is difficult to be cracked and hence it is popular amongst
| professionals from varied organizations. However, most notebooks do not
| execute the operating system and its files with equal efficiency. Everex
| Zonbu Notebook, a recently launched laptop, is amongst those ones that are
| available with a version of Linux OS. Zonbu Notebook comes with a
| rechargeable Lithium ion battery. While undergoing normal load, the notebook
| gives an adequate 2-3 hours backup after full recharge. However, the backup
| time reduces considerably to 90 minutes when it is put under full load,
| whether by running heavy applications or putting it through a DVD playback
| test (as done in most laboratories).
`----

http://www.techtreak.com/2008/10/17/everex-zonbu-notebook-greener-and-safer-option-for-new-users/

My Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Blog

,----[ Quote ]
| I received my Dell Inspiron Mini 9 yesterday and pHreaksYcle should be
| getting his today. I love it already. We started a new Ubuntu blog for it
| about a month ago. Check it out, we're working really hard on it.
`----

http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2008/10/my-dell-inspiron-mini-9-blog.html

Dell pays 'codec and DVD tax'. It's better to go for laptops that don't have a
patent deal with Microsoft.

Recent:

Zonbu 2008.05 ScreenShots

,----[ Quote ]
| Another fairly new Linux Distro to review. First thing I have to say is that
| this distro is based off of Gentoo Linux and it is one of the faster LiveDVD
| distros that I have loaded up2date. Every application loaded up extremely
| fast. The icons made this distro very nice on the eyes. The extremely quick
| responsiveness for a live distro was amazing! This Linux OS is perfect for
| Windows users who want the online accessibility of the MAC. This distro is
| not for experienced Linux admins what soever!!!! You do not have root access
| if you install the OS, since it is locked down. You will have to add options
| to the GRUB boot loader to get root access.
`----

http://www.linuxdynasty.org/zonbu-200805-screenshots.html

Zonbu Notebook Review: Part I

,----[ Quote ]
| When I first discovered that I going to receive a Beta testing review
| notebook from Zonbu, I was a bit skeptical. Despite being excited to try out
| one of their latest contraptions, I could not get my head around the
| challenges of a Linux notebook that was simple enough for the most casual PC
| user.
|
| It seems that it's not only easy enough for anyone, but it's a solid notebook
| for the price.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2761&Itemid=449

Related:

Zonbu Zonbook Review

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Zonbu approach will not satisfy anyone who likes to tinker with his
| or her PC or needs unfettered access to the widest possible range of software
| and peripherals, anyone looking for a reasonably priced, competent, and
| low-hassle laptop should give the Zonbook a look.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3735926

Review: Zonbu Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| You want a computer but you are not into gaming. You want a simple yet
| somewhat powerful computer without breaking your energy bill. You also want a
| simple and yet powerful Operating System to go with that computer. Where is a
| person supposed to find such a computer?
|
| Enter Zonbu. The company that has both a desktop model and a notebook model
| for you to choose from at a low cost.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=392

How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!

,----[ Quote ]
| So therefore, best way to win the war of the operating systems is not to go
| after the high end market.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=352

Notebook Review: The Zonbu Zonbook

,----[ Quote ]
| While Zonbu's approach will not satisfy anyone who likes the capability to
| tinker with their computer or needs unfettered access to the widest possible
| range of software and peripherals, for those that are looking for a
| reasonably priced, competent and low-hassle notebook computer Zonbu deserves
| a close look.
`----

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/reviews/article.php/3730496

Everex Zonbu Notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zonbu PC, a $99 miniature desktop that debuted earlier this year,
| generated some excitement among those with shallow pockets—at least until
| they saw the fine print. You have to pay the two-year subscription plan
| (ranging anywhere from $12.95 to $19.95 per month) up front before you can
| call the desktop your own. In return, you get around-the-clock technical
| support, 25GB to 100GB worth of online storage, and the comfort of knowing
| that you'll never have to update your PC manually again. The services are
| essentially what you're paying for, and so far, Zonbu hasn't looked back.

Zonbu Notebook review

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want something to set down on Mom’s lap this week, ensuring that
| you’ll never really have to maintain it ever again, you’re in luck. The Zonbu
| is very capable in that respect. If you want a Linux laptop, go ahead and
| pick up a cheap laptop on eBay or Craigslist and download Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/12/24/zonbu-notebook-review/

ArsGeek reviews the Zonbu Notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| The price point, even after several years of subscription fees are taken into
| account is still fairly compelling. More so since you should theoretically
| not have to worry about any updates or maintenance to the machine. If
| something breaks it will be replaced. If software goes wrong you can revert
| to the factory default while still retaining all of your files. That in
| itself is a compelling reason to look seriously at Zonbu and their desktop
| and laptop solutions.
`----

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=3051

First Impressions: Real life with the Zonbu Laptop Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, I give the Zonbu laptop an 8.5 out of 10.
|
| The major things holding it back are the need for better flash video
| performance and some key application updates as well as a rethink of the
| physical housing. These things will be addressed in the coming months and the
| device will become indispensible at the current price point.
|
| If you’re curious, the entry point is relatively low - order one. You won’t
| regret it.
`----

http://mrzonbu.wordpress.com/2007/12/05/first-impressions-real-life-with-the-zonbu-laptop/

Hands On: Zonbu's Data Syncing Linux Notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| The $279 Zonbu Notebook is the latest offering from the Open Source computer
| company—following up on the $99 Zonbu Desktop released earlier this year. The
| software is the same OS seen on the desktop, updated with a few new features
| such as real time data syncing. But the question remains: Does Zonbu find the
| sweet spot between solid performance and an entry level price?
|
| [...]
|
| Without the Zonbu Plan, the laptop will cost $479.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/zonbu-notebook/hands-on-zonbus-data-syncing-linux-notebook-327230.php

Zonbu GNU/Linux computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Zonbu is a very simple system. It is geared for users who may not necessarily
| care what operating system they are using, but someone who just wants a
| functional system. Zonbu does exactly that. The software is very
| straightforward to use. Zonbu is very environmentally friendly. Not only does
| it not require a lot of power to run, it also does not contribute to noise
| pollution.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/zonbu

$99 Zonbu Linux PC On Sale Today

,----[ Quote ]
| We've had our hands on these super-green Linux-and-Via powered babies for a
| little while, but now it's your turn. Even though the beta program is
| expected to run until September, Zonbu is confident that the hardware on 1.0
| is locked. That's why today, the company started selling the little box, but
| will cover the first three months of software support, technically a beta
| run, for free.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/zonbu/99-zonbu-linux-pc-on-sale-today-279478.php

Linux net PC prototype gains favorable review

,----[ Quote ]
| PC Magazine reviewer Patrick Norton likes the Zonbox's low power requirements
| and complement of pre-loaded software, which includes Skype, the Banshee
| music jukebox, OpenOffice, and Firefox. YouTube video playback and mp3
| ripping are less than perfect, he reports. However, the Zonbox uses only 11
| Watts to play DVDs (external USB DVD player required). It can output to a
| 720p high-definition TV with "no problems," Norton found.

Review: Zonbu, the $99 Linux Computer

| There's a lot to like about Zonbu, including its three-year replacement
| warranty. With your configuration information and all your data backed up in
| the Zonbu online storage space, when you plug in, you can restore your
| machine instantly. As an added plus, Zonbu is environmentally friendly; the
| company claims the computer uses a fraction of the electricity of a standard
| PC, which will cut down on your company's electricity costs.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/120653

Zonbu to Roll Out $99 Linux-Based Computer This Summer

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a cheap computer on the way that undercuts them all, the $99
| Zonbu, due this summer in a silent-running form factor that's about
| the size of a paperback book.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cheap-pc/zonbu-to-roll-out-99-linux+based-computer-this-summer-258177.php

Gizmodo get their hands on Zonbu's remote-storage Linux PC

,----[ Quote ]
| Gizmodo have been playing with a halfway solution, Zonbu?s $99
| Linux PC, which runs open-source software on a fanless 1.2MHz
| platform but utilises Amazon?s S3 storage servers to save your files.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/gizmodo-get-their-hands-on-zonbus-remote-storage-linux-pc-235408.php

Zonbu PC--the little, green rental machine

,----[ Quote  ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2300-1042_3-6197110-1.html?part=rss&tag=6197110&subj=news