[News] Cost Barriers Broken with GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks

Asus and Sub-$300 Laptops: Where the Action Will Be

,----[ Quote ]
| Kevin Maney writes: Right now, there seems to be at least one tech company
| that is incredibly positioned to take advantage of the crappy way we all feel
| about the economy -- and that would be Taiwanese computer maker Asus.
`----

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/the-tech-observer/2008/10/17/asus-and-sub-300-laptops-where-the-action-will-be

EXTRA: Eee PC 900A netbook below $300

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to a special IT Blogwatch EXTRA: Richi Jennings watches the
| plummeting prices of netbooks -- yay for the recession? Not to mention
| another literal 80's music video...
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/extra_eee_pc_900a_netbook_below_300

The recession is hugely helpful to Free software.

Recent:

PHOTOS: Asus Eee S101

,----[ Quote ]
| The Asus Eee S101, a high-end addition to Asus' netbook range has been
| photographed - and priced for the UK market.
|
| Weighing in at 1kg and "svelte" at 1.8cm thick, the new Atom-based netbook
| has a 10.2-inch LED backlit display and will be available running either
| Windows XP or GNU Linux.
`----

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/18415/19439/view.phtml

1 more mini laptop for Asustek

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Eee PC S101, which is expected to hit the shelves later this month at
| a cost of 699 US dollars (S$1,024), comes with a choice of operating systems
| between Microsoft Windows or GNU Linux.
`----

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Tech%2Band%2BScience/Story/STIStory_286934.html

ASUS Eee PC 901 falls to a cool $500

,----[ Quote ]
| For reasons unknown, netbook manufacturers (on the whole, at least) have been
| asking ridiculous sums of money for their wares, but now that the novelty of
| the sector is wearing off, we're seeing those figures start to head south.
| Following in Acer's footsteps, ASUS has evidently lowered the entry price for
| its Fine Ebony / Pearl White Eee PC 901 to $499.99.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/08/asus-eee-pc-901-falls-to-a-cool-500/

4 new mini-laptops -- which is smallest, lightest, best?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9114478