[News] [Rival] Microsoft Munchkin: Windows Mobile Is In Trouble

Why Windows Mobile Is In Trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently it was revealed that the newest version of Microsoft’s mobile
| operating system, Windows Mobile 7.0, would be delayed until as late as 2010.
| The updated version, which the company’s partners had reportedly been hoping
| to have by early 2009, was aimed at giving Microsoft a bigger presence on the
| mobile stage. But delay or no delay, I don’t think it would have been enough.
| With competition from a resurgent BlackBerry platform from Research in
| Motion, Apple’s iPhone and most importantly, the Google Phone platform (I
| will analyze Nokia’s Symbian platform in a separate post at a later date),
| Microsoft’s mobile platform is facing its toughest environment yet.
|
| [...]
|
| Sometime later this month, the G-1 will go on sale and people (at least those
| in the U.S.) will be able to experience the difference between a Windows
| Mobile- and an Android-based phone for themselves. Of course, some will find
| the shortcomings of the Google Phone — and according to Mossberg, there are
| many — grating. Others, like me, will be suitably impressed. And if they’re
| impressed enough, most handset makers will want to join the party.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/external/gigaom/2008/10/15/15gigaom-why-windows-mobile-is-in-trouble-24747.html

Recent:

Windows Mobile misses annual shipment target

,----[ Quote ]
| Lees, a veteran Microsoft executive who moved from the Server & Tools unit in
| February, attributed the lower-than-projected Windows Mobile sales to some
| devices coming to market slightly later than previously expected. He declined
| to say which ones.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/144818.asp?source=rss

Related:

Malik, Arrington and Battelle: X-22, come in [to Microsoft]
^^^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| What would possess a collection of online publishers and venture capitalists
| to pimp a Microsoft advertising slogan?
|
| Valleywag today reported about a site tied to a Microsoft ad campaign
| where the likes of Michael Arrington, Om Malik and others seemingly
| lend their support to the "people-ready" catchphrase.
|
| I sent e-mails both to Arrington and Malik and--surprise,
| surprise--heard nothing back. (Obviously, they are not yet
| sufficiently "Coop-ready.") Microsoft was still checking for me into
| whether money exchanged hands. But even if not a single shekel exchanged
| hands, I must wonder about the absence of common sense. Why would
| ostensibly independent voices come across as Microsoft shills? If
| they were hoping for a free dinner with Bill Gates, there are
| smarter ways to go about it.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733995-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1028