[News] DRM-Loving Apple Sued for Monopolisation

Apple Sued for Monopolizing the Worldwide MP3 Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Taiwanese MP3 manufacturer Luxpro has filed a lawsuit against Apple claiming
| the Cupertino, Calif.-based company achieved its dominance in the MP3 market
| through monopolistic behavior.
|
| Filed in the United States District Court Western District of Arkansas,
| Luxpro says in the lawsuit that "Apple has sought to stamp out the
| competition using various schemes" and "has repeatedly used unfair tactics
| against other smaller manufacturers."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/152370/.html?tk=rss_news

One has to wonder if another large company pushes for/assisted this lawsuit.

Recent:

What if Apple stopped issuing DRM keys?

,----[ Quote ]
| It happened to Microsoft and Yahoo. Could it happen to Apple?
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's now defunct MSN Music service made a similar announcement last
| spring. Some CNET News readers have asked whether the same thing could happen
| at iTunes. The answer to that question is yes, it most certainly could.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10004255-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9931304-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Ask Apple about the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Services like Amazon, eMusic, Napster, Rhapsody, Play.com and 7digital are
| all selling music without DRM. A typical response to this might be that Apple
| has no option to sell media without DRM, but this is simply untrue. Jobs is
| the largest individual shareholder at Disney, and he could insist that its
| films be DRM-free. Apple should be leading the way to promote DRM-free music,
| but instead is lagging behind. What is Apple doing to fix this? If it really
| is the RIAA's fault, can you tell me specifically what the RIAA said to Jobs
| when he asked for the ability to sell DRM-free music?
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/apple-challenge

iTunes legal silences Hymn

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has fired a cease and desist order against the developers behind the
| open-source Hymn Project.
|
| Hymn develops software that strips Apple's FairPlay digital rights management
| (DRM) technology from user's iTunes purchases, allowing music fans to play
| their music on devices other than those from Apple.
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=20538&pagtype=allchandate

Related:

A Linux User's Perspective on the ITunes Store (and DRM in General)

,----[ Quote ]
| What if tomorrow you went to Best Buy or Walmart or Sam Goody and purchased a
| CD? What if, before you left the store, the salesman told you that although
| the CD was in all other respects a standard CD, that you could only play it
| if you owned a Pioneer or Sony stereo? Would that make any sense? Would it
| make you a bit hesitant about buying music from that store again?
|
| Well, if you purchase music or videos from the iTunes Store,
|
| [...]
|
| With content from the iTunes Store, however, users may find themselves a bit
| stuck if they ever want to make the switch to a more open computing platform,
| such as Linux. Because none of the DRM-restricted content from the iTunes
| Store will play on Linux. And it's all because that's how Apple wants it, to
| be honest, and not because of any technical limitation.
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/324936/a_linux_users_perspective_on_the_itunes.html

Apple's latest trick to enforce digital rights

| With this version of iTunes, users were finding that music
| subjected to the old download-burn-rip would no longer
| load onto their iPods.
`----

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/06/09/10131156.html

Torvalds pleased that DRM music is dying

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds, coordinator of the Linux kernel, is pleased that music
| publishers have started selling more DRM-free music -- last year he said the
| technology was a lot of "hot air".
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Torvalds-pleased-that-DRM-music-is-dying/0,130061733,339285934,00.htm?feed=rss

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
| tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
| in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
| are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/04/13/microsoft-apple-drm/