[News] New Groupings Around Free Software

Ex-Google, Yahoo employees behind Hadoop startup

,----[ Quote ]
| A team including former Google, Yahoo and Facebook employees is launching a
| startup that will provide professional support for Hadoop, an open-source
| computing platform that makes it easier to write programs that process large
| amounts of data.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=639931439&rid=-50

Skype Meets Asterisk

,----[ Quote ]
| Among its other functions, Skype on Asterisk has the ability to receive calls
| through a number of devices. An incoming call will simultaneously ring the
| user's desk phone and the Skype client. Prefer the audio quality on the desk
| phone? Don't want to turn off your music to answer the Skype line? Pick up
| the desk phone. The call is treated just the same. Or set the system to only
| ring one phone or the other, to make things even simpler.
`----

http://www.voipplanet.com/solutions/article.php/3778276

Yesterday:

Digium Attracts 400 Resellers

,----[ Quote ]
| Digium, the poster child for open source IP phone systems based on Asterisk,
| has built a partner channel that now includes nearly 400 solutions providers.
| Back in May 2008, that figure stood closer to 250 partners. So, what’s
| driving Digium’s success in the IT channel? Take a look.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/14/digium-attracts-400-resellers/

OpenSolaris Project: Hadoop Live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| Organizations routinely collect a huge amount of data, including web crawls,
| email messages, and scientific data. Processing these datasets with
| traditional relational database models or streaming algorithms is no longer
| scalable. A new data processing model, MapReduce, addresses this challenge by
| leveraging large clusters of hundreds or thousands of heterogeneous servers.
`----

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/livehadoop/

Hypertable Lead Discusses Hadoop and Distributed Databases

,----[ Quote ]
| At the time that we started on the project, an open source Bigtable
| implementation did not exist, so we decided to build it ourselves. The reason
| that we chose open source is because we felt that an open source
| implementation of Bigtable would be inevitable. By leading the development
| effort, we would have a leg up on the competition in terms of knowledge,
| expertise, and credibility.
`----

http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/04/hypertable-interview

Hip-hip-Hadoop!