[News] Python, Qt and Mozilla Make Big Development Moves

Python 3.0 makes a big break

,----[ Quote ]
| Typically, each new version of the Python programming language has been
| gentle on users, more or less maintaining backward compatibility with
| previous versions. But in 2000, when Python creator Guido van Rossum
| announced that he was embarking on a new version of Python, he did not sugar
| coat his plan: Version 3.0 would not be backward-compatible. Now that the
| first release candidate of Python 3.0 is out, with final release planned for
| later this month, developers must grapple with the issue of whether to
| maintain older code or modify it to use the new interpreter.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/150399

Qt Developer Days: New Qt IDE Called Greenhouse

,----[ Quote ]
| Today at the Qt Developer Days, Matthias Ettrich of Qt Software, formerly
| Trolltech, announced a new development environment for Qt Software called
| Greenhouse. The Qt Developer Days are being held in Munich from October 14
| through 15.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/qt_developer_days_new_qt_ide_called_greenhouse

Nokia's Trolltech preps embedded app breakthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| Benoit Schillings, Nokia chief technologist, told The Reg that Greenhouse is
| a standalone environment that will provide everything you need to write an
| embedded device or application and that it will exploit Qt.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/15/trolltech_greenhouse/

Mozilla Labs pursues Web development tools

,----[ Quote ]
| Dissatisfied with the Web development tools already available, researchers at
| the newly formed Developer Tools Lab at Mozilla Labs intend to find better
| options.
|
| Announced Monday, the lab will be led by Dion Almaer and Ben Galbraith, who
| founded the Ajaxian Web site, which is focused on AJAX issues. The lab will
| center on research and development of developer tools for the "open" Web,
| according to the Mozilla Labs Web site.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=799931678&rid=-50

"There is such an overvaluation of technology stocks that it is absurd. I would
include our stock in that category. It is bad for the long-term worth of the
economy."
                                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO

Developers gradually leave Microsoft, thus eroding its value.

Recent:

Vista's big problem: 92 percent of developers ignoring it

,----[ Quote ]
| Such appreciation for history is not likely to warm the cockles of
| Microsoft's heart, especially when Linux is getting lots of love from
| developers (13 percent writing apps for it this year and 15.5 percent in
| 2009).
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html

Coders Tell Why They're Avoiding Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. undoubtedly wanted to avoid its current predicament. It has
| been publicly talking up features in Vista since 2003 -- half a decade.
|
| But such "overmarketing," as Krasowski calls it, can rebound. Experienced
| developers have become jaded towards the third-party apps Microsoft trots out
| as exemplars of Redmond's latest technology -- "demoware," he calls them --
| that sparkle with flashy animation and video.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146035/coders_tell_why_theyre_avoiding_vista.html

Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the Linux Community.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/28/guess-what-fox-news-is-responsive-to-the-linux-community/