[News] GNU/Linux and the New Economics Explored

Linux is the Klein Bottle of Economics

,----[ Quote ]
| Code is cheap. But even in writing and speech, there is definitely a producer
| and a consumer. Those are the two sides of every known business model.
|
| But Klein bottles and Motörhe - ah - Möbius strips only have one side. And
| that's what Linux, and other Free and Open Source Software products, are. We,
| the consumers are we, the producers. And we all own it, and we all make it,
| and we all use it, whether we know it or not.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=linux_is_the_klein_bottle_of_economics&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Recent:

Open source can still win in a down economy

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source consumption did really well during the last economic downturn. In
| this downturn, open source offers the best value for money and with more
| mature supported products, enterprises can continue to innovate while budgets
| are frozen.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10058434-62.html

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| It is flattering to be mentioned, Mr. Whitehurst said, but he noted that
| corporate customers and the industry benefit from what he called Red
| Hat’s “Switzerland status” — not being a province of one of the major powers
| in the technology industry.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/no-recession-at-red-hat/

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide

Ballmer: Congress must 'stabilize' financial crisis

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10054252-75.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Ballmer says Microsoft not immune from global crisis

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080930/bs_nm/us_microsoft_ballmer;_ylt=Au5VO.rh_OuPGHCBr9O.m4K573QA

Ex-Microsoft boss sentenced

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/371393_msftcourt19.html

Former Microsoft Manager Gets 2 Years In Jail

http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_former-microsoft-manager-gets-2-years-in-jail_1427.html