[News] GPLv3 Keept Gaining as Proprietary Dinosaurs Sink to Trolling

GPL Project Watch List for Week of 10/10

,----[ Quote ]
| This week our GPL v3 count is at 3237 GPL v3 projects, an increase of 22 GPL
| v3 projects. The AGPL v3 count is at 181 AGPL v3 projects. The LGPL v3 number
| is at 345 LGPL v3 projects, an increase of 51 LGPL v3 projects.
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/10/gpl-project-watch-list-for-week-of-1010.html

File Format Brouhaha Pits FOSS Against Proprietary

,----[ Quote ]
| Zotero is free, open source software (you can use it as a Firefox extension),
| but the problem that Nature reports is that Thomson makes a proprietary
| bibliography-creation software product called EndNote. The company claims
| that Zotero allegedly allows EndNote's proprietary data format for storing
| citations in bibliographies to be converted to an open format that not only
| Zotero but other applications can access. According to Nature: "Thomson
| claims that Zotero 'reverse engineered or decompiled' not only the format,
| but also the EndNote software itself."
`----

http://ostatic.com/173694-blog/file-format-brouhaha-pits-foss-against-proprietary

Recent:

GPLv3, one year later

,----[ Quote ]
| As Brown points out, "GPLv3 is probably the most adopted license in the last
| year. And it seems to achieve its aims thus far." For any other license, this
| performance would be a runaway success. It is only by comparison with the
| dominance of the second version of the GPL licenses that the success of the
| third versions might seem disappointing.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/139885

How The GPL Defangs Patent Trolls

,----[ Quote ]
| Why would a patent troll agree to this? Don Marti explains how the GPL
| strengthened Red Hat's bargaining position. In a normal patent licensing
| negotiation, the patent troll would demand a per-user license fee that would
| be passed along to the vendor's customers. But the GPL specifically prohibits
| Red Hat from doing this; if Red Hat agreed to pay per-user royalties, it
| would be in violation of the GPL and would lose the right to distribute the
| software at all.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080613/0705261402.shtml

GPL Project Watch List for Week of 09/19

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/09/gpl-project-watch-list-for-week-of-0919.html