[News] [SOT] Another Reason to Stop Federal Data Harvesting, Encrypt

MoD loses most of the armed forces

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry of Defence and contractor EDS are frantically checking the bins
| this morning for a missing hard drive containing records of 100,000
| servicemen and women and their families.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/10/mod_data_loss/

And they plan a database of all phonecalls too now?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some soothing words from Sir Bonar about the latest MoD data loss episode
|
| I can confirm the disk was not encrypted. We have noting to hide from whoever
| stole it, and therefore nothing to fear.
`----

http://www.idealgovernment.com/index.php/blog/some_soothing_words_from_sir_bonar_about_the_latest_mod_data_loss_episode/

"Nothing to hide..."

Md. Police Put Activists' Names On Terror Lists

,----[ Quote ]
| The Maryland State Police classified 53 nonviolent activists as terrorists
| and entered their names and personal information into state and federal
| databases that track terrorism suspects, the state police chief acknowledged
| yesterday.
|
| Police Superintendent Terrence B. Sheridan revealed at a legislative hearing
| that the surveillance operation, which targeted opponents of the death
| penalty and the Iraq war, was far more extensive than was known when its
| existence was disclosed in July.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/07/AR2008100703245.html

First, Catch Your "War on Terror"....

,----[ Quote ]
| First, create a nebulous threat to the nation; call it something grand like,
| oh, "war on terror". Pass a set of wide-reaching laws that let you do
| anything to "fight" it. Then, redefine anyone who opposes you as
| a "terrorist" (after all, you are in favour of the "war on terror"; they are
| against you; therefore, they are against the "war on terror", and thus
| against the country). Apply previously created laws to the hilt.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/10/first-catch-your-war-on-terror.html

Big Brothers pushing for crowd control, suppression of free speech.

Related:

Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

,----[ Quote ]
| If you remember, this was sold to the public as essential for fighting
| terrorism. It's already being misused.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/11/animal_rights_a.html

Feds appeal loss in PGP compelled-passphrase case

,----[ Quote ]
| It's time to take another look at the intriguing case of United States v.
| Boucher, which may set the ground rules for whether or not criminal
| defendants can be compelled to divulge encryption passphrases.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9854034-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

- From Zero to Holy $&*#!

,----[ Quote ]
| What if Linux and Free and Open Source Software became illegal to use due
| to “national security?”  Never mind the fact that the American military uses
| it.  Never mind the fact that Microsoft funded both political parties in the
| year 2000.  Never mind that Richard Stallman has accused Microsoft of
| enabling terrorism in the first place.
`----

http://nixedblog.thenixedreport.com/?p=55

UK gov sets rules for hacker tool ban

,----[ Quote ]
| A revamp of the UK's outdated computer crime laws is long overdue. However,
| provisions to ban the development, ownership and distribution of
| so-called "hacker tools" draw sharp criticism from industry. Critics point
| out that many of these tools are used by system administrators and security
| consultants quite legitimately to probe for vulnerabilities in corporate
| systems.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/02/hacker_toll_ban_guidance/

German Security Professionals in the Mist

,----[ Quote ]
| This hope was important because earlier this year the German Government had
| introduced similar language into Section 202c StGB of the computer crime
| laws, which would have made the mere possession of (creates, obtains or
| provides access to, sells, yields, distributes or otherwise allows access to)
| tools like John, Kismet, KisMAC, Nessus, nmap, and the ability to Google
| effectively a crime.
`----

http://www.beskerming.com/commentary/2007/08/12/249/German_Security_Professionals_in_the_Mist

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/